Chapter 15 - Short shift

"Late? For once?" Tiana looks to see you rush in.

"The world is ending... great," James drops his head.

"Shut up, I was up studying," neatening your hung-over mess of hair, you bump right into Diana. "Hey..."

"You're lucky you're always early," she pats your back, "you're taking David's table, he said he isn't feeling well,"

"I feel like shit," he calls through the server window. "Feels like I'm about to-"

"Ah, yeah, don't want to hear it," grabbing his table order, you ruffle his hair before serving another waiting table quickly. "I'll have someone with you soon," you pour water into each glass, replacing a fallen fork and putting a napkin in a child's lap. "Liz, get table 8,"

"You got it!"

Now you were able to serve David's table. "I'm so sorry about your wait, I'll be your new server, how may I- fucking hell," when you look up none other than the large group of High School Heroes were before you. Including Loki.

"Y/n?" Bruce fixes his glasses.

"Well, good afternoon, grumpy, how'd you enjoy last night?"

"Regret it considering I forgot I had work today," you pour drinks for everyone. "Alright, what did you want?"

"So rude," Pietro clicks his tongue.

"You sound like a Karen, so shut up and tell me your order," clicking your pen, you hear orders, "I'd be nicer but my current hangover is your doing,"

They watch you walk off, Tony looking to Nat and saying, "I hope they don't spit in my food,"

~~~

"Here we go," you put down all the food plate by plate. "Any reason you all chose this place? Or did you decide to annoy me because you know I work here?"

"Thor told us this place has the best food," Steve shrugs, eyeing his full breakfast.

"And also because you work here," Clint admits.

You ignore that last part and reply to Steve, "it does," you tip back and forth on your heel a little before huffing, "well, if that's all then I have other things to do,"

"Actually," Peter raises his hand, "we were going to do a study group for the upcoming biology test, did you want to join?"

"When and where?"

"Whenever you get off work, at Thor and Loki's," Nat cranes her neck to face you.

"Yeah, don't think so,"

"Is there a problem?" Diana's voice pipes up behind you. Fear and pure terror shot through your veins, features distorting as if you had seen a ghost.

"Not at all-"

"Yes, actually," Tony grins. "We wanted Y/n to join us for a study session but they aren't willing,"

She looks down to you with a raised brow. "Since when did you go to NYSG?"

"Uhm..." you blabber about excuses but none work. "I have work! And still have to babysit Luna for Mrs K, and Bjorn needed help with the... pastries! Jam and custard-"

"No I didn't!" He sings happily.

"Seriously? Thought you had my back!" Throwing your arms into the air, he returns it with a thumbs up.

"I can take care of Luna tonight!" James waves.

"You too??"

"Your shift ends early today at... once they're done," Diana says sternly, "Dolores will take over the rest of your shift,"

"I can do that," she pops up with a smile. "You never said you went to NYSG," she whispers as Diana walks away. "Is that why we don't know the really hot girl you keep talking to David about?"

"Keep talking about?" Loki leans against the table with his elbows.

"Oh yeah, all the time," Dolores was then shut up by a crumpled up bit of paper forced into her mouth by you.

"She's lying," you stalk away with a scowl as Loki sat back in satisfaction. Dolores shrugs, removing the paper and hurrying after with a small skip leaving the group completely entertained.

~~~

"I need to head home and change-"

"We can drive you there," Tony holds up his car keys.

"Going all at once means you can't skip," Wanda chimes with a lovely smile.

"No, no, that's a bad idea," you clap your hands together but feel another pair land on your shoulders. "Diana please don't-"

"Y/n will happily accept your offer, or they will be on gum duty for the next three months," she kisses your cheek in a motherly fashion causing a grimace from you.

"Great!" Thor took a hold of your arm, dragging you out front.

~~~

Sinking in your seat next to Loki who was reading a book as he would usually, no mind was paid to you except directions called out. "Stop slouching," Loki eventually says.

"Stop whining,"

"Hm," he dismisses, smirking when you fix your posture.

"Welcome to mi casa," you sigh, getting out the car as the others park theirs around the street. "I'm back, Mrs K- Luna!"

A little girl runs up to your side, hugging your leg. "Can we please watch a movie tonight??" She begs, "please, please, please!"

"You'll have to ask James, kiddo," lifting her onto your back, she gave a pout.

"But I wanted to spend the night with you! You're so much cooler than James," she hugs you tight as the group watch from a bit away.

"Yeah, yeah, but hey! Let's hang out a little now, hm?" You bounce her on your back, running down into the alley. "Hang on!" Her bright giggle rings out as you leap out and grab the ladder. "Watch your head," you plant a palm above her head in case.

Wanda looks around before floating up to the first ladder level. The others watch from below as you pry open a window, .

"Alright, you choose everyone's snacks for this afternoon," you let her run off into your kitchen.

"This is where you live?" Wanda asks softly, not scaring you as you saw the wisp of red following.

~~~

On my work break and now I have to go back :((

- Anna ❤️