Chapter Nine: Family Matters

Start from the beginning

"No kiddin'!" Tony smirked back. "You know where the best point would be to pry it out?"

"Well, you're gonna want to remove the covering on the A-pillar for better access since that's put on after the IP is installed. Once you're down to the framework, it shouldn't be too hard to take it out." Megs considered. 

"Wanna help?" Tony offered. 

"I'd be glad to." Megs smiled softly, walking over to the car. "By the way, you're gonna need a torque head for a size 10."

"Damn, 10? I thought they were using 12s on these things!" Tony whistled. 

"Nah, that's too hefty I guess." Megs shrugged. They took a screwdriver, masterfully unsettling the clips on the A-Pillar cover to reveal the frame. They readied their torque wrench and continued working. "I always thought it was 12 too until they sent me to repair."

"You worked repair?" Ethan smirked. "Didn't mention that."

"Well, it's actually a part of the other zones and processes." Megs told him. "You learn how to do the repairs for your zone."

"Huh." Ethan considered. 

"You make some damn good money doing it too. Most of the time you get to work Sunday so you're making double pay." Megs hummed. 

"Thank god you're not one of those useless line workers." Tony sighed, watching them work. 

"Hey, none of us are useless." Megs warned. "Even if we don't actually know much about cars, we're breaking our backs out there making them."

"Sorry." Tony sighed. "What I mean is... one of those people on the line who don't know anything 'cept what they're puttin' on the car."

"Yeah, I know." Megs assured him. "I just... it bugs me when people discredit our work like that, y'know? Like we don't know anything or do anything. I had to get a lot of chiropractic therapy because of the damage it did to my back. And my wrist still hasn't recovered fully from when I hyperextended it and displaced my floating bones."

"Damn..." Tony winced. "Didn't even think 'bout the fact that you could get hurt out there."

"Oh, we do. A lot." Megs sighed, before carefully sliding the IP out and taking a look inside. They found the clip that had fallen out and quickly set it back in place. 

"That's it?" Ethan blinked. 

"You'd be surprised how much of a racket that can make." Megs chuckled, starting to put everything back together.

"What else did you work on?" Tony asked. 

"I worked quality before getting a real on-the-line job, and then I worked IP, front end module, wiring, and engine." Megs listed off. 

"What'd you do in quality?" Tony blinked. 

"Oh, tons of stuff. Underbody checks, wiring checks, CSD..." Megs shrugged. "I can do a decent paint repair if you ever need it."

"Ethan, where the fuck did you find her?" Tony smirked. 

"Them." Ethan corrected. "They're new to the school."

"Oh, sorry." Tony apologized again to Megs. "So what do I call you?"

"Well, my name is Megs. I'm nonbinary." Megs explained. They didn't want to confuse him with the whole no-label thing. "And I use they/them pronouns. Like Ziggy."

"Good kid..." Tony hummed in approval at the mention of Ziggs. "And what'd Ethan call you?"

"His partner." Megs clarified.