42 𖠇 Genesis' First Heartbreak

Start from the beginning

   He came up to her after the rally was over and she knew he would. He had been glancing at her often when they were announcing the players.

   The entire school watched them talk, giving them looks as they passed by. Every student and even staff knew they would date just as much as Genesis did.

   He was beautiful and so was she. There couldn't be a better match.

   As presumed, they dated and everything went well until months later when Harvey became distant overnight.

   "You are not leaving me, Harvey Cohen." Not you too, she also wanted to add the time he decides to break up with her.

   "I can't love you the way I used to." He couldn't look her in the eye.

   "And why is that?" Her mother left her for drugs, so what was his excuse?

   He shrugged.

   That's what hurt her the most. He couldn't give her a reason as to why he was leaving her.

   She wanted to beg him to stay with her. To not leave her the way her mother did, but she was done crying for those that didn't love her back. Instead, she wanted him to pay. She wanted him to feel the abandonment she had felt when he and her mother left. Maybe he didn't deserve it. Maybe she was placing her mother's issues onto him. But pain is unforgiving and so was she.

   Now, during the bus ride to visit the college, she can hear him talk with Oscar four seats behind her. She had had enough of his voice even if he slept for most of the ride, so as soon as the bus stops, she rushes out to step into the campus first. With the key to her dorm, she goes up to the third floor with her bags and heads down the hallway. A tall, dark-skinned guy stops as he almost passes her by.

"Need help with those bags, beautiful?" he asks her.

She looks at him. He called her beautiful and she loves being showered in compliments, so she agrees.

"Are you one of those high school students that were gonna visit today and tomorrow?" he says, dropping her bags next to her bed as soon as she unlocks the door.

Genesis walks to the mirror and reapplies a pink lipstick. "Yeah. Are you here to convince me to stay... Uhm— what's your name?"

"Tanner," he says.

"Tanner." She looks at him as she leans on the sink counter. "Convince me to stay. Why this college?"

He smiles sideways. "I can think of many ways to convince you."

"Don't be disgusting, Tanner," she says, lifting her middle finger at him. "You don't even know my name and you expect me to bend over that bed for you. I'm no whore."

"Well, what's your name?" He sits on the bed.

"Genesis."

"Genesis, there's a party tonight at ten in a dorm building nearby," he says. "Come."

Genesis states at him for a moment. "Are you asking me on a date?"

He chuckles and stands from the bed. "All I'm trying to do is convince you to pick this college." With those words, he steps out.

Then I step in.

"You requested me, didn't you?" I tell her. "Also, who was that guy that left the room?"

"First of all, why would I request you?" she begins. "Second, start getting ready. We have a party to attend tonight."

"We have to wake up early tomorrow," I remind her, dropping my bags on the bed beside her.