𝑻𝑾𝑶

𝙾𝚗𝚎 𝙼𝚘𝚗𝚝𝚑 𝙻𝚊𝚝𝚎𝚛

"Covelli!" Mr. Carrera's friendly voice boomed through the kitchen, causing Aria to speed up taking a drinks order for a table of old fishermen, her left foot tapping against the freshly polished floorboards inside 'The Wreck'.

She rushed through the kitchen, placing the order on the board, almost slamming into her flabbergasted boss whilst doing so.

"Sor-"

"Covelli, can you work the double tonight?" He cut her off, an irritating act she had no choice but to grow used to in her month working under his name.

She'd grown custom to her boss's many agitating traits, though he was nice enough and paid well, so really she shouldn't complain. Not that she complained to anyone but herself anyways.

"A double shift?" She repeated his question, more for her own benefit than anything else.

"That would be what I asked." He started. "I have business else where and the only other kid working tonight is my daughter, Kiara. We need at least two sets of hands in the kitchen to operate smoothly." He spoke in a dull, bored manner, clearly not thrilled about wherever he had to go for business.

Aria opened her mouth to talk, however she was cut off yet again by her boss's voice. He explained that it wouldn't be too busy that evening, perhaps a few locals. As if Aria needed an explanation for the double shift.

She'd meant what she'd said to him a month prior about being a fast learner. Unlike many people she'd met, information didn't go in one ear and out the other, it stayed in her brain. Probably the only reason she'd ever done well in school, not that she still went.

The girl gave up on talking, she'd learnt that getting a word in whilst her chatty boss was speaking could be deemed impossible. So instead, she switched to nodding her head in understanding and smiling awkwardly every now and then.

He smiled genuinely at her, patting the girls shoulder before turning to leave her alone by the counter. He mumbled out a "thanks kid", operating his attention elsewhere.

The young brunette watched as the man consulted someone at the main door as he was leaving.

She was left alone to make the array of drinks for the only occupied table in the wreck. Humming to herself until a girl about her age came into view, walking behind the counter and putting on an apron.

The other girl turned around to face Aria, her hip leant against the counter, arms crossed against her chest, eyes analysing the girl with a cautious gaze.

The way she stood reminded her of how her Boss had stood, leant against the counter a month ago as she rambled to him, an attempt to convince him on hiring her.

Aria looked up. "Hi." She smiled, trying not to make herself seem as uneasy as she felt. "I'm Aria."

"Kie." The other girl spoke simply, yet friendly, uncrossing her arms and pushing away from the bench. Her expression instantly became calmer after the quick introduction.

She looked tired, not the kind of tired most would suspect at first glance however. The kind of tired this girl wore across her features was an expression Aria had grown used to long ago. This girl was pain-striking exhausted.