Chapter 10 | A Cruel Joke

__

Y/N MAXIMOFF

__

I made it to my room before I began crying.

Spiderman had already met his soulmate? How was that possible?

Perhaps this was just a cruel joke. A joke to give me a soulmate who already had someone else he was tied to.

Scenarios and possibilities began running through my head about this soulmate predicament. I knew that there were people who had two soulmates, but I didn't think that I was one of those people. I got jealous too easily.

And then it hit me. Spiderman might know me in real life.

It made sense. If Spiderman knew me in real life, then I would know him in real life. So I just had to uncover who Spiderman was. And I knew exactly who could help me.

*

"So, either he already has a soulmate and the universe fucked up, or he knows you as you," MJ summarised, and I nodded.

MJ had come to the tower as soon as I called her. Luckily, it was a Saturday and it was only five when I called her. She was allowed to come over to stay the night, and the Avengers didn't mind. They liked that I had friends my own age.

My soulmate situation was a strange predicament. I really hoped that it was the second option MJ mentioned, because if it was the first, I was soulmate-less. The way Spiderman spoke about the other person (maybe me) made me feel that if it was between the two of us, and the soulmate was another person, that Spiderman would choose the other person.

"Okay, so we've gotta come up with a plan, then," MJ said. "The most obvious thing would be to tell Spiderman, but because the author loves drama, we can't do that."

MJ looked directly into my eyes, but I felt like she was looking at something else, something beyond me.

"Um, what?" I asked, slightly confused.

"I guess you could go around hitting people," MJ said, as if she hadn't said the other thing and then stared at me weirdly. "But that wouldn't go down very well."

I sighed and flopped down onto my bed. This was impossible. Why did life have to be so difficult? Maybe I should just let Sam throw me off of the tower, or let Bucky use me as his punching bag. I continued thinking of other ways to get the Avengers to kill me when MJ snapped me out of my thoughts.

"Well, who at school do you think could be your soulmate?" MJ asked.

The first person to come to mind was Peter. If I was being completely honest, I was sort of developing a crush on him. But Peter couldn't be Spiderman. I mean, I'd seen him earlier today at Delmar's. He was really awkward when he spoke to me, and Spiderman was always confident. Not that Peter being awkward was a bad thing. It was... cute.

"I don't know," I said sadly.

MJ's lips twisted to the side and she rubbed my arm.

"We'll figure it out," she said.