Two Shades of Blue

Start from the beginning

After making sure everything was in order, she lifted the large box and started making her way to the kitchen.

"H-Heavy..."

She sighed as she placed it back on the ground after only taking a few steps. It was one of her daily struggles since she started the job. Back at Raimon, she'd be able to share the burden with her seniors, splitting the total of 16 bottles into 3 cooling boxes. But since Mizukawa was always with the coach, she's had to do most of her jobs alone.

"Come on, Aoi! Tenma and the others are working hard! It's your job as their manager to be the backbone and support them!"

But just before she could pick it back up again, a pale hand grabbed on its handle. "Just don't go breaking your own backbone while at it..."

"Tsurugi!"

"Hey." The boy, still in his jersey, lifted the box easily. "You know, if you needed help, you could've just said so. Half of us are free at the moment."

"Ahahaha... Thanks, Tsurugi. You're as kind as ever." He gave her a look. "W-What is it? Did I say something strange?"

"No, I just never expected to hear that from anyone else."

She blinked. "What? That you're kind?" He nodded slowly, making her hum in thought. "Come to think of it, I suppose Kimiko was the only one who could say it so straightforwardly."

"Mm. She does it to tease me."

"But I think there's truth to it too." He gave her another look, which she was able to respond to with a smile this time. "It's not always obvious, but you have your own ways to take care of the team, right? Tenma told me how you were immediately onboard with getting Matatagi to help in the Korea match, and Sakura told me how you also comforted her in the match against Big Waves. You're also helping Ibuki train everyday, even if Shindou-senpai scowls at you for it."

"He's going to grow wrinkles on his forehead if he doesn't stop anytime soon."

"Ahahaha... You're right about that." Her smile brightened. "No, but really, Tsurugi is kind. I admit you do look scary from time to time, but you have a really soft look on you when you smile."

"Don't go saying that too often now, or Tenma might get jealous."

She jumped. "W-W-Wha...?! W-What does Tenma have anything to do with―"

He let out a smirk. "Ah, or maybe not. He doesn't know, after all."

"Doesn't know what? W-What are you talking about?"

"How long are you going to deny you like him more than the others?"

"Tsurugi!" Realization dawned on her as her expression turned into one of horror. "Oh god, oh no... I-Is it really that obvious?"

He shrugged. "Not sure how it is for the others, but it's clear as day to me. After all, it's easy to tell when someone's on the same boat as you."

"Huh?" She blinked up at him. Once. Twice. "Wait... Wait, y-you mean you...?!" And she got another look from him. "Wow, I... I mean I've figured that was the case, but I... I never expected you to admit it." Then, her gaze dropped as another question came to mind. "Why are you telling me?"

"Like I said, we're on the same boat. You with Tenma, and me with the other idiot." He clicked his tongue. "They're both too busy being in their own little worlds to notice the people standing right beside them."

"Ahaha... That's true..." She hummed, looking up at the sky before turning back to him. "Tsurugi, can I come over to your dorm later?" She got a raised eyebrow in response. "I'd invite you to mine, but Mizukawa-san and I share a room. Right now, there's not much time left until dinner. I still have to wash those bottles, and you still have to shower before then, so..."