SIDE CS: In Flames

Start from the beginning

She nodded and held open the door to her brother's room for him again. As she helped tuck the girl in, she noticed that her clothes were strangely not that soaked. She looked up at her cousin to ask, but she got a shake of his head in response, indicating he didn't know the reason for it either.

Soon, her brother returned with their father in tow, who seemed like he hadn't actually slept and was ready with his doctor tools. He checked on her briefly, finding out she had quite a few scrapes and burns all over, but nothing to be too concerned about. After confirming her well-being, he directed everyone to go back to sleep.

They pulled out two more futons and had a sleepover in her brother's room.

~~~~~

The next morning, she woke up to the little girl cowering in the corner. When she tried to get closer to greet her, she only curled up even further.

She felt a hand on her back and she turned to find her brother already dressed for the day. "Did you try talking to her too?"

She nodded once. "Onii-chan did too?"

"Yeah. I woke up the same time she did. But when I tried to say 'Hi', she scurried off to that corner..."

She frowned at that. "Does she not like us...?"

Before her brother could reply, the door opened to reveal their cousin, also fully dressed. "Yuuka, are you awake? Breakfast is ready for everyone." He turned to the girl in the corner and gave a smile. "That means you too."

She seemed to have somehow shrunk even further.

"Hey, come on. You have to eat something." Ignoring her and her brother's calls, Masato walked all the way up to her before bending down to her level. With a smile, and without caring for her clear discomfort, he patted her head. A blush crept up her face little by little before she eventually gave in.

Yuuka couldn't help but stare as her cousin managed to lead her out of the room. Only when her brother patted her head did she turn her attention to him. "Onii-chan?"

"Kids do love headpats..." He said, smiling slightly.

It brought out hers in response. "That's true! I know that it makes me happy whenever you or Masato-nii-chan do it to me!"

"Right. Then, let's go have breakfast."

"Okay!"

Even with the extra guest, breakfast was peaceful and didn't feel awkward in any way. Aside from the unsure looks they'd get when they ask the child to tell them about herself, it didn't feel too different from their usual days.

It was only after that they decided to take things more seriously.

"Do you have a name?" Her father asked as he inspected her wounds.

The little girl pursed her lips, but when Masato patted her head again, she immediately relaxed. Though she was still somewhat nervous as she answered, "I-It's... Ki... Kimi... ko... Kimiko... I-I think..."

"'You think'?" She didn't elaborate further, so he moved on. "Where are you from? And how did you end up outside the gate last night?"

Her gaze went down.

"Do you remember anything at all from before then?"

She slowly shook her head.

"Amnesia, is it..." He stood up, turning to them. "Shuuya, Yuuka, if you have free time today, go out to the neighborhood and ask around. Show them a picture of her and if she's theirs, take them to the hospital. Masato, you're with me. We'll be taking her there ourselves."