D i s c o n n e c t e d

☀︎

Naruto never had any real friends. They were always touch-and-go. Acquaintances that he never saw outside of school. There were Shikamaru and Kiba, two boys in most of his classes who he spoke to frequently, but after the days' end, there wasn't much else he did with them. He always ended up going home alone, spending the week with free time and no one to spend it with either. He didn't expect more from them or any of his other acquaintances. He was popular in the sense that he was well-known. Everyone knew of Naruto, but no one was truly his friend.

They were fine with his company in the set hours they were in a confined space together but once they were let go, there was no reason for them to communicate.

Naruto thought in middle school, he'd go to high school and finally have a meaningful connection with someone. Some friends. Or a friend, even if it was just one person that would be fine. It was nice he wasn't an outcast anymore when he went to a new school, but it wasn't enough to just not be seen as just a menace anymore.

All of that hate in the past transferred to the present and he had somewhat of a difficult time socializing. He unconsciously tried to limit how he interacted with others. Becoming a people pleaser, but still not enough for most people it seemed. Now he's a senior in high school and he wonders if things would ever change.

Naruto kind of always knew he was somewhat queer. Not exactly straight but not entirely gay? He didn't really have or want to put a label on it, and no one seemed inclined to talk about that sort of thing. He definitely didn't want to approach his parents about it, and approaching any of his barely friends would be equivalent to coming out. Straight people don't question their straight-ness, right?

Mindlessly scrolling through the endless abyss that is social media allowed him to find someone who might have sincerely enjoyed his company if they were to meet without the use of a screen. Maybe it was the fact that there was a screen that he was able to connect with a stranger in that way.

So he found a forum for LGBTQ+ kids to discuss their experiences, sexuality, and genders completely anonymously without fear of judgment. He ended up being not so active there, but he was there enough to warrant someone private messaging him.

RedTomatoes: You're a senior in HS?

This guy must have read his bio, maybe they're the same age? Also, it's weird not to start with at least a greeting which is something Naruto notes but it's of no consequence. Naruto was bored so he decided to continue this conversation with RedTomatoes. What a weird username, did this guy just like tomatoes or something. Or maybe that was just the first thing they thought of. Well, his username is 'RamenAddict' so maybe that's not much better.

RamenAddict: Yea why?

RedTomatoes: Same

So this user is a senior too. It's nice talking to someone who's actually the same age and not like 13. He honestly forgets there are people still being born after a certain year and actually every year.

RamenAddict: Are u a girl or boy?

He has to ask. Though they could be neither, or this could be a subject they might just not want to answer too. He doesn't even think about that. He's about to rephrase his question and ask something more appropriate.

RedTomatoes: Is that important to you?

He doesn't even really need to think for a second on that question.

RamenAddict: Not really

RedTomatoes: Pronouns are he/him, and I'm a guy btw.

Naruto realizes that's what he should have asked instead. Besides, gender doesn't really matter anyway he doesn't think he would have cared very much if this guy answered the opposite.