Pauline Johnson- Tekahionwake

Born Emily Pauline Johnson (her Mohawk name was, Tekahionwake meaning, "double wampum") on March 10, 1861, on the Six Nations Reserve, near Tuscarora aka. Middleport, Ontario. Her parents were George H.M Johnson, Mohawk-English interpreter and negotiator and her mother, Emily Susanna Howells was born in Bristol, England. Her parents met when Emily was visiting her sister at an Anglican mission, in Mohawk territory. Her parents married in 1853, about the same time George became chief of the Six Nations and was appointed as Chief Interpreter. Pauline had 3 siblings, Eliza Helen, Allen Wawanosh and Henry Beverly. Pauline suffered ill health as a child and didn't attend school on the reserve like other Indigenous children. Instead she was homeschooled by her mother, family members and governesses.

Her parents mixed-race marriage was initially frowned upon but Pauline and her family still enjoyed a privileged life in society, mainly due to her father's position as a mediator. The family hosted notable dignitaries, scholars and artists, at the family home, Chiefswood. Despite Pauline being born into a world of institutionalized racism that still exists today, she was taught to appreciate and respect her Mohawk heritage. Pauline understood Kanyen'kéha, the Mohawk language and was told many stories about her people by her paternal grandfather, Chief John Smoke Johnson. The Johnson children also inherited a number of Mohawk artifacts when their father passed away.

She was enrolled at Brantford Central Collegiate, when she was 14 and graduated in 1877. Pauline began writing poetry in her mid-teens. Her unique upbringing influenced her views on life, love and the human condition; she was also particularly influenced by her grandfather's stories. She was best known for her portrayals of Indigenous culture, particularly women and children. Her talent for literature was versatile and only continued to bloom throughout her life. She published frequently in newspapers and magazines during the earlier stages of her career. In 1884, some of Pauline's poetry was published in the New York magazine, Gems of Poetry. She published 3 more poems in the magazine that year; as well as 8 poems in the Toronto magazine, Week. Her father died the same year, when Pauline was in her early 20's. She moved to Brantford, Ontario with her mother and sister. It was also during this time that Pauline began performing her poetry and stories for audiences, mixing aspects of Indigenous and Euro-Canadian culture. She used the money she made from these performances to help support herself and her family.

After her father's death, Pauline embarked on a series of tours in Canada, the US and England. Her renditions of patriotic poetry made her popular with audiences, after her performances gained more traction she began including more of Indigenous identity into the shows, starting out the show in Victorian-era clothing and than changing into Mohawk dress or vice versa. It has been theorized by some historians, that it was through the income generated through her spoken word performances, that Pauline was able to keep herself from slipping into the depths of poverty, which often happened if you were a racialized and unmarried woman in a primarily white society. Pauline always referred to herself as "Indian" but at the same time, her work was often tailored to suite the tastes of white audiences. And much of her adult life was spent more distant from her Mohawk ancestry.

Some of her published works include, The White Wampum (1895), Canadian Born (1903), Legends of Vancouver (a series of short stories told to her by Squamish chief, Joe Capilano, 1911), Flint & Feather (1912) & two short stories, The Shagganappi & The Moccasin Maker (1913).

Pauline Johnson spent the end of her life in Vancouver, BC. Passing away there on March 7, 1913, just 3 days before her 53rd birthday. A monument was constructed at Stanley Park in her memory. Pauline is also listed as a Person of National Historical Significance, in Canada. Her childhood home, Chiefswood, is a National Historic Site and public museum. In 2016, Pauline was one of 12 iconic Canadian women who were being considered for a new $10 banknote. She made many contributions to Canadian folklore and literature, as an unmarried Indigenous woman, she rebelled against many prejudicial ideas of race and gender of the time. Though her work was received by audiences and critics alike during her lifetime, her work was nearly forgotten in the decades following her death. By the end of the 20th century, coming up on the centennial of her birth, interest in her work was reignited.

https://www.thecanadianencyclopedia.ca/en/article/pauline-johnson