"There'll be no confession when he don' feel that way 'bout me."
"Yeah that ain't true. Albert, ya oughtta watch Y/N and Morris eyein' each other when we's buyin' papes 'nd try ta tell me she ain't in denial."

"Will do," he said amused.
"Um no ya won't," I tried to counter but they both just laughed at my expense.

Albert definitely analysed my interaction with Morris as we were in the line and was sure to comment on his observations of how "madly in love" we looked.

Race's POV

Selling was like usual but the whole time I was kinda antsy. I had plans to see Katie.

I guess that served as a good motivator because I sold through my stack quicker than usual.

It was a little after sundown when I got to Katie's place.

I don't know why I'm so drawn to her. Maybe it's the bubbly personality or her beautiful smile that lights up a room in an instant.

I'm not the type who generally falls hard for girls. I flirt, sure but then it ends and it's all in good fun.

This feels somehow different. Like we have this connection of sorts. Like maybe being with her would change me for the better.

"Hi Race!" she exclaimed, wrapping me in another one of her tight hugs. I don't think I'll ever be used to that enthusiasm to see me. I don't think anyone's ever been that excited to see me.

We sat down at her couch.
"So what've you been up to all day?"

"It's been kinda boring just sitting here alone and doing nothing. I assume Oscar and Morris got held up doing... well you know," she sighed, "I just wish I wasn't the cause of all this."

That statement confused me.
"Waddya mean by dat?"

"My brothers are tough, they can hold their own. Maybe even against my father. I'm sure that I'm the only thing stopping them from just refusing to do his dirty work and moving out. I just can't shake off the feeling that it's all my fault."

She looked down after saying this. I grasped her hand and she looked up at me.

"Kat, none of this is yer fault, it's ya father's. Look at it dis way, if yer brothas is capable 'f gettin' outta dis but they ain't, they's doin' it willingly because they care 'bout you. You ain't forcin' 'em ta do it, they jus' love ya so much. Can't speak for 'em, but I's sure that comin' here ta see yer smilin' face is enough ta keep 'em going."

She smiled slightly at that and I brushed some of the hair out of her face.

"There's dat beautiful smile of yers," I said and she blushed slightly.

She wrapped me tightly in a hug. "Thank you, Racer," she whispered.
"Of course, I don' want ya ever thinkin' of yerself as any less than amazing."

I just stayed there with her in my arms for a while. It was just so peaceful, a contrast to my loud, fast-paced life. A good contrast.

"I've got a question for you," she started.
"Ask away," I urged.
"Why do you always have a cigar in your mouth but never light it?"

Not exactly the question I was expecting her to ask but she made me feel comfortable to answer it.

"It was jus' my mom an' me for as long as I could remember and she always had a cigar wit' her. Dat smell's wit' every memory I got 'f home. But then-" I started to get choked up.

She placed my hand in hers the same way I did moments ago and I felt so secure. Like I could tell her anything.

So I continued, "Then suddenly, it's jus' me. First thing I got wit' da money I made sellin' papes was a cigar ta remind me 'f her. I never light 'em 'cause I don't got the money ta burn through a bunch an' always have one. Like long as I got one, I still feel connected ta her. I guess 't grounds me in a way. They help me ta focus an' feel kinda calmer. I dunno, I jus' get a bit panicked an' distracted sometimes."

"Race-"
I looked at her in the eyes. "When I'm wit' you, some'a dat stress goes away. I feel safe wit' you, like I could tell ya anythin' at all."

I paused. "I really like ya, Kat. Like really really like ya."
She smiled at me and replied, "I really really like you too, Racer."

Taking even myself a bit by surprise, I kissed her. I just felt so connected to her in that moment and it was an almost instinctual response.

When we pulled apart is when I started to second guess my decision. She didn't say anything for a little while and in my panic I started to stammer out some form of apology or explanation but she cut off my nervous train of thoughts with another kiss.

Everything about it was perfect. I've never felt this way about someone before and as we were in this moment, I didn't want it to end.

Eventually it did, though and as we once again pulled apart, the look of pure joy on her face was enough to make me melt.

"Will ya be my girlfriend, Kat?" I asked. Though I was almost certain of her answer, I couldn't quite shake off the nerves that came with asking that question.

"Of course, Racer!" she said with that same enthusiasm that always draws me to her. I felt a sense of relief at hearing those words.

She pecked my lips once more and then wrapped herself back in my arms.

A few seconds later, I noticed her chuckling to herself so I asked, "Whas so funny?"
"We beat N/N and my brother to it," was her reply, now laughing harder.

"Huh," I started laughing too, "I guess we did."
"He still won't admit that he likes her."
"She still thinks he don't."

"Ugh, I don't know how much longer I can watch them pining!" she complained.
"Ya think you got it bad? You oughtta see 'em starin' at each other when we's buyin' papes. Unbearable!"

We laughed some more and just enjoyed each other's company, savouring the moment.

I eventually noticed that it was getting dark outside.
"Hey it's gettin' kinda late, see ya soon?"
"Yeah, bye Race."
We hugged once more before I left and went on my way.

As I walked, I couldn't keep the smile off my face. Katie Delancey is actually my girlfriend.

The second I saw Y/N and Albert, I couldn't stop talking about today. I made sure to tell her that I beat her to the whole confessing and getting with your crush thing.

"Now it's yer turn ta get wit' Morris."
"That definitely ain't gonna happen."
"Still in denial, I see," I teased.
"Shuddup, go ta bed," she said playfully shoving me away.

When I ultimately did go to bed, I fell asleep happily thinking about Katie and how grateful I am to have the people in my life.