Quit

By the time Nacht had finished up the paperwork from the day the sun had long since set. Being vice captain to a squad that caused as much trouble as the Black Bulls meant that there was always a ridiculous amount of paperwork (mostly property damage claims) to shift through. If it weren't for Finral he'd never get it all done...he has no idea how the kid had done it on his own for so long...he desperately deserves a raise.

Nacht stretched with a pop of his back and half heartedly wished Finral a good night as he left the office.

He needed a smoke.

The night air is crisp and fresh and he breathes it in with a delighted sigh, closing the door behind him and slumping against the wall of the base. He pulls out a cigarette from the pack hidden on his hip and brings it to his lips, followed by the silver lighter Yami had gotten him.

Relief floods through his body as he puffs a breath a smoke, that felt good and well deserved.

Nacht relishes in the cool night air, smiling softly at the sound of crickets and an owl deep in the distance.

He frowns when he hears the sound of chatter.

Honestly he isn't sure how late it is so he doesn't know whether or not to be surprised by the fact that someone is awake but it still strikes him as odd.

He strains his hearing, listening intently.

It sounded like Asta and Liebe.

He might as well check in and see how the boys are doing.

Nacht flicks a few ashes into the dirt before pushing himself off the wall and making his way around the corner. At first he doesn't spot the kids- they aren't anywhere near the furnished outdoor area or anywhere lit up by the light of the base.

Looking towards the forest line he spots Asta sitting in a tree, seemingly chatting away to Liebe who he can't quite make out in the dark.

Nacht smiles softly to himself, slowly making his way over to them.

"Evening you two," he greets a few paces away.

Asta leaps out of his skin with a startled yelp and immediately moves to hide his right hand out of sight- Nacht raises an eyebrow at that.

"Hi Nacht," Asta recovers quickly smiling brightly down at him.

"Hello," Liebe pipes and Nacht notices him settled in the kids lap.

"What are you doing out here so late?" again he's not necessarily sure if it is that late but he still feels the need to ask.

Asta shrugs "just felt like getting some fresh air." Nacht notices him shift awkwardly still trying to keep his right hand hidden away.

Nacht discards his cigarette into the dirt and squints up at his kid "alright, what are you hiding?"

Asta has a panicked expression on his face before he quickly erases it with a strained smile.

"Nothing!" his voice cracks.

"Smooth," Liebe laughs sparking Asta to bark back "shut up!"

Nacht raises an eyebrow "Asta," he says dangerously "don't lie to me."

The same panicked expression crosses Asta's face again and he looks as though he's trying to come up with an excuse. Then he sighs and slumps against the tree.

"Okay but don't get mad."

"Mad?" Nacht asks waiting for Asta to elaborate.

The boy does, by revealing his right hand- more importantly what he's clutching between his fingers.