eighteen

Harry

Devon's coming over. She's gonna meet the girls. She's gonna see my house. I didn't even clean, it looks like a disaster in here and now she's gonna think I live like a pig with these girls. Usually I'm a clean freak and like to have order, but since I was home all day with them I figured a mess was fine. I didn't expect her to be coming over though.

Annika has been talking my ear off about how she gets to meet a real life happiness fairy today. She also can't believe how pretty Devon was, which I can agree with. Dev is just from another planet, but in the most amazing way.

I've been texting with her throughout the day, making sure she's still okay with coming to meet the girls and she claims she is. But I also know Devon and she won't tell me she's freaking out because then that will make me freak out. I just hope if she doesn't feel comfortable she tells me instead of forcing herself to go through with this.

They already picked out what wings she gets and what flower crown. Apparently, happiness fairies always wear white, sparkly wings and have to have yellow flowers. It's the rules. There are apparently a lot of rules when it comes to being fairies.

I somehow manage to wrangle the girls into the living room and sit them down to have a chat. "Okay, wildflowers. Devon is gonna be here pretty soon."

They both cheer, but I know Oakley's just following along with whatever her sister is saying. We had to let her pet caterpillar go back to it's mummy and daddy, so she's been a little sad. But Devon coming over is keeping her mind off of it.

"You two have to be on your very best behavior, and make sure to use your manners. And when I say it's time to come inside, you have to listen okay? Devon has work tomorrow morning so she can't stay too late." I just want to be accommodating for both of them. This is a huge deal for Devon since the last time she saw the girls, we broke up. And the last time the girls saw Devon, she slapped me in the face.

Annika nods, wiggling in her seat since she's so excited. "Okay daddy! I wanna show her the garden!" She's definitely not listening to a word I'm saying right now.

"We could show her the garden. But remember this is her first time at our house and we can't just do everything all at once." I cup her chin gently, giving her a warm smile.

"Oakie do paint?" Oakley asks, and I smile over at her.

"We'll see, blossom. Maybe tomorrow we could take out the paints." I offer, knowing that may be a lot for today. Plus it's getting late and pretty soon it'll be bathtime anyway. When Oakley paints, she lets all her creativity out and leaves everything she has on the canvas. And herself. And her surroundings. She's a very serious artist. I have her art hanging up on the walls since one day they're gonna be worth a lot of money.

The doorbell rings and my stomach drops down to my ass. She's here. Here goes nothing I guess. Annika squeals and looks over to the door, but I give her a stern look, not wanting her to run and open it again. "You two stay here while I go get that."

Anni giggles more as I walk over to the door, giving them one more look before opening the door. I smile when I see Devon at my front door, a pizza box in one hand and a pretty big tote bag in the other. She smiles brightly when she sees me, and she just looks so incredibly beautiful.

"Hi! I brought them some things if that's okay?" With a big smile, I lean over, kissing her lips since we're out of view of the girls. She giggles into the kiss, and smiles more when I pull away.

"That's perfect, love. Come in, they're dying to meet you and show you around. Sorry about the mess, by the way." I take the pizza box from her, unable to stop my smiles. It's gonna be impossible to not kiss her while she's here today.