Underneath the Stars, Underneath You

Start from the beginning

He scrunched his face. "No!"

He parked on the grassy field. It was almost like a meadow. Trees surrounded either side. It was super secluded and beautiful.

Dylan tore the box open and yanked out the air mattress. He peeked at the instructions for a nano second before throwing them back in the box. I watched him as he smoothly operated the pump and blew it up in no time. He was a pro in my eyes. A pro at being a man.

He raised his eye brows at me as he picked it up and slid it in the back of the truck. The way he raised his eyebrows was almost as if to say...well, I must be overthinking.

He placed a couple of duvet covers on top of the mattress, and we had a couple to cover up with. Even though it was summer, it cooled off at night and got pretty chilly. I get cold so easily anyways. He had grabbed two pillows from the motel also. I hadn't even noticed; they'd been in the big white pile, hidden. He tried it out, putting his arms behind his head. "Aw yeah. Comfy as hell!"

I tee-heed at him and gawked at the surroundings. I had a sudden urge to be a child again and acted upon it. I hit Dylan's foot. "Tag! You're it!" I shouted and took off towards the trees on the right side. I didn't look back, but listened to see if he would play along. All I could hear was myself running for a moment, then came the sound of him jumping out of his truck bed. I heard him running behind me and I sped up giddily. "I'm gonna get you!" He called. I actually couldn't believe he was playing tag with me. He's such a manly man I'm a little shocked he knows how to have childish fun. He was fast. I tried to run quicker, but I couldn't. He was going to catch me soon. I hit the trees and looped around. We faced each other, heavily breathing and devlish grins on our faces. I pretended to go left but then darted right and ran back to the truck. He caught me before I even got halfway. He grabbed me by the waist and we almost tumbled. I was breathing hard and cackled out loud. He laughed along with me. He pursed his lips together. He looked ahead when he said "You're amazing, you know that?" He met my eyes.

I blushed and glanced down. "Thanks." It was almost all the way dark. He was getting harder to see by the minute. "Come on," he said. "Let's go get comfortable."

He pulled himself up in the back of his truck, grabbed my hand, and yanked me up with him. I kicked my shoes off and he followed. He grabbed his box of Cheeze-Its, and a beer, and I grabbed my animal crackers and Dr. Pepper. We were quiet except for our munching. I ogled at the sky; the stars weren't quiet out yet. I turned my head and admired Dylan. "Can I have a sip?" I asked, without even really thinking. He raised an eyebrow but handed over the beer. I tried it and I didn't like it. It's too wheatey for my liking. I scrunched my face and he chortled. I washed it down with a swig of Dr. Pep.

"Give me one," Dylan asked while I was about to stick two animal crackers into my mouth. I stopped, wiggled it out of my palm so my thumb and index was holding the cracker, and slowly placed it on Dylan's tongue. He chewed it and thanked me.

It was late and the stars were out now. They enveloped the entire sky and it was beautiful. We oohed and awed. I was hoping for a shooting star but one didn't appear.

Dylan was telling me a story of something stupid he had done when he first started his job and he had me in stitches. He was hilarious! I even had a small tear form in my right eye's corner.

Dylan rolled on his left side, and propped his head up with his left knuckle. He faced me, so I did the same on my right side. Now we were turned towards each other. "I'm so glad we're doing this," I stated.

"Me too," he replied in a quiet voice. He looked so sexy I tried my best NOT too look him up and down. He was silent after that but wouldn't take his eyes off me. I started to blush and feel silly. "What?" I asked in a high-pitched voice. He smiled, showing his teeth. "Don't look at me!" I hid my face in my free hand.