Chapter 1

"Dave, where is Amanda?" Mathew asked, walking through the orphanage door. "Shes in her room right now, quiet as usual." Dave replied roughly. "Still got that sore throat I hear." Mathew said, closing the door and hanging up his coat. "Well, that's to happen in the middle of a snowy winter like this." Mathew walked over to the log book, "I don't know why you visit that girl Mathew, she's a murderer, so I hear." Dave said gravely. Mathew didn't look up. He walked down the hall till he got to Amanda's room, he'd been here many times before. He knocked quietly on the door, "Amanda, its me Mathew. Can I come in?" He heard a voice from inside, "Sure." He opened the door and stepped inside, Amanda was sitting on the window sill, watching the snowflakes fall down onto the ground as the sun shone through the clouds. Mathew sat down on her bed and Amanda jumped off the window sill and sat down next to him, "Why do you visit me?" she asked. "Nobody cares about me." Mathew looked at Amanda and placed his hand on her back, "Because I care about you and I think you need a loving family." Amanda stared at him wide-eyed, "You, are going adopt me?" She said slowly. Mathew smiled at Amanda, "Yes, I am. If you want to live with me." Amanda looked straight at Mathew, meeting her blue eyes with his brown ones, "Yes, I'd love that" she said with a smile."When will you take me out of this horrible place?" She asked. "Today, next month" Mathew replied. "It's the soonest as possible I promise." Amanda looked at her calendar and marked the date, "I'll count the days." She said. Mathew looked at his watch, "Amanda I have to go to work now, I'll come back tomorrow." Amanda looked disappointed, "See you tomorrow then." she said. "Oh, Amanda I almost forgot! I bought you a present." He gave the parcel to Amanda, she carefully opened it and found books, and her face lit up immediately. "Thank you so much, I've read all my other books so many times I thought I was going to be driven mad!" Mathew got up and walked to the door, "I knew you'd like it." he said with a smile, "goodbye for now Amanda" "Bye" she replied. Mathew walked out of the door and Amanda was alone again. She went over to the window sill and started to read one of her new books, 'What's left of me' by Kat Zhang. She didn't move from her reading spot till her door opened, "Supper time Amanda" Jill said leaning on the doorway. "Ok" Amanda said, "Why are you out of your office Jill?" Jill laughed, "Can't I come out of my office and visit the orphanage I run? Now come down for supper dear" Amanda followed her down the hall to the dining room, and as usual all the children suddenly became quiet and stared at her, she went to sit down and ate as quickly as possible so she could go back to reading. She was used to the quiet, after all, what kind of person would like to speak to a murderer?