The first time, you were scared you were going to get killed. This time, you were scared you were going to lose him - which was so much scarier.

"It's a high tech prison," Quackity continued, keeping his tone of voice low while he closed his eyes and took a deep breath in and out. "They don't have invis, because they have no items, and there have been no visitors. They don't have pearls, because they would still be here if they pearled. They didn't blow anything up, they didn't dig out, they didn't do anything but disappear in front of my own eyes," he explained, trying his very hardest to keep his rage controlled. "So, somehow - someone either snuck shit in to get them out, or they have some sort of fucking otherworld power on their side - and one of those seems more probable than the other, wouldn't you think?"

Quackity opened his eyes and looked down at you, his eyes dark and accusing.

It clicked.

You scoffed.

"Are you seriously blaming me?" You asked, your eyebrows furrowing as you chuckled incredulously. "This has to be a joke."

"Sam, Bad, and Ant have been around long enough to have known Dream before and after -"

"Then why aren't you blaming them!?" You interrupted, stepping closer to him. He ignored your question and put his hand on your shoulder, holding you at arms length as he bent down and looked you in the eyes. It felt patronizing.

"As I was saying, Y/n, they've known Dream since before he was - was this. They've seen him grow and change and become the piece of shit he is, and they understand more than anyone that if he's going to get better, being in here is the only way," Quackity explained, his eyebrows furrowing as he stared at you dead on. "You weren't here for that - so, if you're honest with me, we can actually work on getting Dream and Techno back if we know how they escaped."

You scoffed again and put your hands up, pushing Quackity off and away from you. He was surprised by the movement, but held the same look of controlled anger in his face as the sirens blared in the background.

"You're seriously accusing me of breaking them out of prison? After everything they've done to you, you think that I would do that?"

Quackity took a deep breath in and out, closing his eyes again. "As an overseer of Dream's imprisonment, I can't rule out any possibilities," he replied with a sigh, opening his eyes to look down at you for a moment before shouldering past. "Now stop standing around, Y/n. Do what you were hired to do. We have to fucking find them, or we are in very very big trouble."

-

Dream and Techno were nowhere to be seen.

After getting Bad and Ant to the prison, you four scoured the prison from top to bottom with the sound of the alarms scraping your ears and the occasional shouting of Quackity. He left after an hour of looking, but demanded that the guards search the prison until nightfall, and instructed Sam to stay overnight.

When you got home, you almost considered not opening the bedroom door, knowing he was behind him. The thought of him having accused you made you sick, but despite the queasiness in your stomach, you put your hand on the doorknob and turned, pushing the door open to see Quackity standing at the window with his wings out and a bottle of scotch in his hand. His wings drooped down his back and brushed the floor, the feathers contrasting bright against the dark gray carpet.

You closed the door behind you, the door shutting with a soft click. Instead of turning around and looking back at you like you had expected him to, he lifted up his bottle and took a healthy swig.

Silently, you opened the closet and slipped your shirt off, tossing it on the floor beside the door and grabbing a looser shirt to sleep in. You repeated the process until you had changed out of your clothes into something designed more for comfort than work. Unfortunately, the stress of today didn't fall off with the clothes like you hoped.