Chapter 26

The room was a blinding white. Soft cushions lined the wall as a young girl was strapped in the middle of the room, her hands and feet tied together to the back of the chair she was sitting in. She tried pulling her limbs loose but to no avail.

A tall man stood in front of her, towering over her. His face had a long scar across his cheek, and his hands were bloody and scarred. In his left hand held a small gun, his finger around the trigger.

"Nowhere to run now girl." He said, taking the handkerchief out of the girl's mouth. The girl glared up at the man, her eyes cold and grey. "You don't scare me anymore," she said, trying to break loose again.

The man grabbed the girl's hair and yanked it back, making her scream in agony. He put the gun right up to her throat and cocked it. "You wanna say something to me? Say it to my face." The girl gritted her teeth, stared into the man's eyes and replied, "you're a fucking coward." She then spat in his face.

The man roared in pain as her spit seeped into the cut on his cheek. "You shouldn't have done that little girl!"

The man placed the gun onto the girl's forehead. Beads of sweat formed on her forehead as the man slowly pulled onto the trigger.

"I'll see you in hell, my Athena."

"Athena, wake up. Please!" She heard a soft voice. Her eyes fluttered open as a set of ocean blue eyes looked at her with concern. "Russell, what the hell happened?" Her voice tired and groggy. "I think you had another nightmare." Russell replied, holding Athena close. She snuggled up against Russell's warm chest, feeling it rise and fall gently.

Russell felt warm tears drip onto his bare chest. "Hey, why are you crying love? What's going on?" He asked Athena.

Athena lifted her head as tears streamed down her face, making her cheeks shine in the moonlight. She shook her head. "When are they gonna stop? The nightmares. I can't handle them anymore."

Russell stayed quiet, his thoughts gathering in his head. "I honestly don't know" he sighed. "But just know that I'm here to help you and to love you no matter what. I'm not going anywhere, I promise."

Russell lifted Athena's chin and wiped away her tears with his thumb. Athena rested her head on his chest as she felt Russell's hand rub her back gently.

"Hey Russell?"

"Yeah?"

"...I love you."

Russell's heartbeat quickened as he felt a soft blush form on his cheeks. He couldn't help but smile.

"I love you too Athena."