Chapter 26

"What are you doing?" Ichi-chan asked, curiously, as I tried to light a fire with my lighter and a few wood scraps I found scattered all over the place. Thankfully, it was enough to make a campfire out of. It's just that my lighter is not cooperating very well, probably because I've been using it for quite some time now. I seriously need to buy a new one once we get out of here. "Are you trying to light a cigarette, right now?" She exclaimed to which I responded with a dumbfounded expression.

"Since when did cigarettes become this fucking thick?" I sarcastically argued back which made her purse her lips and lean her back against the wall behind us. "Seriously though, why did you pull me to the side when those students came looking for the last log for the bonfire?" I asked, letting out a heavy sigh in the process. It's very unlike her to lose composure like that so I'm quite curious as to what explanation she has to say about her behavior earlier.

"W-well, they might get the wrong idea. After all, everybody thinks that you're going out with Nino, you know? They might think that you're two-timing or something if they saw us together alone in such a quiet place." She explained, stuttering quite a bit as she did. Wait. What? Does everybody really think I'm dating Nino-chan? I guess I can't blame them. Nino-chan has been following me around lately so I can't really blame them if they think that way.

"News flash, I'm not dating anybody, and to be honest with you, I'm not planning to." I coldly said and continued to light a fire on the piece of wood I was holding. After a while, my lighter finally cooperated which left quite a satisfied look on my face as I looked at the glorious fire I just made. However, I couldn't say the same for Ichi-chan who was currently wearing a dejected expression on her face. "What's with that sad look on your face?" I asked, quite curious as to why she suddenly had such an expression.

She quickly dismissed it and immediately hooked her head as if she was waking herself up from a trance. "It's nothing, really. I'm fine." She answered but it was already quite obvious that something is going on in her mind. She, then, started looking all over the place as if she was trying to find something of importance. "We should try to get out of here, you know? Otherwise, people will get the wrong idea once they find us tomorrow morning." She said, obviously trying to change the topic. I guess I should indulge in this little game of charades of hers since it's quite evident that she doesn't wanna talk about what's going on inside that head of hers.

"I hate to tell you this but the windows are far too small for any of us to fit. Plus, the wooden doors are barred shut. Surprisingly, as well, there's an alarm for it. I'm not sure why but one thing's for certain... there's no getting out of here until someone opens that stupid door for us." I carefully explained to her the predicament we are in which made her sigh, heavily. She, then, plopped down on the ground and started hugging her legs like she was some sort of lost child or something. "Don't worry. Chances are, your sisters are out there right now looking for you. Hopefully, one of them is smart enough to consider looking in here." I said, trying to reassure her, however, it seems that it doesn't have any effect on her. In fact, I think it just made things worse.

We both sat in silence in front of the small campfire I made. The only sounds that can be heard are the chirps of the crickets outside the cabin and the crackling embers of the firewood. Jeez. If only I knew this would happen, then I probably would've stepped up earlier before they locked the door. I guess we're really stuck here in the meantime. "How about we disarm the alarm and then break the door open? Would that work?" She suddenly asked out of nowhere as she gazed upon the alarm which was situated right on top of the wall we were leaning on.

Judging by the looks of the alarm, it seems like one of those advance modeled ones. The ones even renowned hackers can't break open. Seriously? Are they hiding gold bars in here? What's with all the security measures? Jeez. "Not possible. That right there is not just any alarm a normal high school student can disarm. This isn't a movie, you know? You can't just James Bond your way through alarms just like that." I argued to which she responded with a scoff followed by a relatively cute pout.