Chapter 12: Convinced I Wouldn't Date

Start from the beginning

"I'm glad to hear that."

"And I am really making friends, which helps. I might not like football, but I like the team members."

"That is one thing I like about football, that teamwork feeling. If one person wins, they all win and celebrate that. So many times, we forget what that is like, but everything we do in life requires teamwork."

"You have a point," I stated as I realized that I never had to work with the team or even focused on teamwork before. It was different when what I was used to, but it wasn't impossible to learn.

"So is there one person you would consider your best friend on the team?"

"Tad, the towel boy is my best friend, but as for the players, I don't have anyone that stands out to me. I don't think I would be close to anyone besides Tad. Besides, I couldn't date any of them."

"Why not?"

The question was so simple, but there were so many reasons why I wouldn't. "Because we would be so different."

"Is that a bad thing, though? Look at me and your father. We have something we have mutual interests in, but there are a lot of things we do differently."

I nodded as mom parked the car.

"I'm not telling you to date a football player, but college is the best time to meet someone, and I don't want you to look back and see it wasted."

I nodded. School would start in the next week and I had never dated anyone. I had always been to focused on myself and I thought that was enough, but maybe mom had a point. "Thanks for your advice."

She smiled as she got out of the car. "Just don't tell dad I said that. I don't think he would be happy with you dating. I think he wants you to be his baby girl forever."

I laughed as I got out of the car, pulling Rori with me. "Your secret is safe with me." 

She gave one last smile before walking into the yoga studio.

<>

Silently, I walked to the front of the building, which overlooked a small park. Rori pulled on the leash with extra energy, nearly yanking my arm out of socket. 

"Ouch, bud," I muttered as I rubbed my shoulder. 

I knew if I didn't let him sprint around for a moment, he would pull me all the way home. So to help tired Rori out, I let him off the leash and threw a stick, letting him shoot off like a bullet to get it.

"Hey, Nora," Everett's voice rang out.

My heart sped up as I turned around to face him. He looked slightly sweaty, making me think he just finished an intense yoga practice. My face twisted up as my hands balled into fists. Unwilling to say anything to him, I turned back to Rori, hoping he would leave.

"I was wondering if you wanted to take a walk with me," Everett said.

There was no way in hell I would do such a thing. I frowned as Rori ran back to me and I put his leash back on. 

Rori, unknowing of my hostile feelings with Everett, rubbed against his leg to say hello.

I glared at Everett, not understanding why he wanted to talk. We clearly didn't get along. Why did he try so hard to talk to me when we were outside of practice? 

"Think nothing of it, it's just something as friends."

I sighed, getting tired of that word. We were not friends. That much was clear. "I hate your use of that word."

He stuffed his hands into his pockets as his gaze shifted towards the ground. "I hate that word myself. You have to understand I have a hard time with that word."

"That doesn't justify anything."

He shook his head. "I'm not asking it to, but at least you know."

I knew little. It's not like he was particularly descriptive with his words. This conversation was turning my stomach into knots. 

"So what do you say? I can walk you home."

I took a step closer to him. This was too much for me. "Why are you always trying to talk to me when no one is around? Because I have a hard time understanding what you want. Do you want to be friends, or do you just want to make me feel like trash?"

He frowned. "I never wanted you to feel like that."

I let out a cynical chuckle, finding dark humor in this statement. "Really, because you do a poor job of making me feel anything different."

"I just have a hard time letting people in."

I looked into his eyes and honestly wanted a good answer. If he wanted to be friends, I needed to know more about him. And selfishly, the only reason I wanted to be friends with him was to help dad with team building. If I knew Everett, I could really help the team.

"Why?"

He shrugged and for a moment he was silent. "For so many reasons. My parents, last year's team, my childhood. I could keep ongoing."

But that didn't explain why Vera said he was kind last year. What changed in his life to be the Everett that I knew? They seemed like two very different people. "I heard you were a kind last year, but when I look at you, all I see is a dick."

"It's easier to be that than to be a target."

My mouth shut as I eyed him. I had so many questions but slowly, things started to make sense. "So, when you said people were sharks, you speak from experience."

He nodded in silence.

Figuring, he wouldn't share anything more than that, I decided that for now, that was enough. "Fine, I'll go on a walk with you. I have to take Rori home anyhow."

He looked up at me as the edges of his mouth turned upward for a second before falling to his resting face once again.