Chapter 2: A Helping Hand

Start from the beginning

"Oh I hope not. For now, I'll just have to focus on what I can do. That's right. One thing at a time, is what they say. See you tomorrow, and good luck on the interview."

"Thanks Y/N. I hope you'll have a very productive afternoon with Rei-chan, all right?"

You simply laughed at your best friend's words, as the two of you said your farewells before you head towards the school gates.

However, you then heard your phone ring while you were walking, prompting you to answer it.

"Yes noona. I'm on my way to the Soulful Barista right now. Do you need me to pick up something for you?"

"No, it's okay. But I'm glad that you decided to help me today, Y/N. By the way, did you like what I cooked for you this morning?"

"Uhh, it was.....authentic, I guess? To be honest, I got a little scared after I saw it, but overall, it tastes good."

"I'm sorry. I did try to make it as perfect as possible, but it didn't come out right. I'll try better next time, okay?"

"It's fine, noona. Though it wasn't perfect, it's the thought that counts, and the least I can do to pay you back would be to help you out today."

"Aww, that's very kind of you! Oh by the way, you're still at school, right?"

"Well I'm near the school gates, so technically I'm still here. Why though?"

"I just thought that it would be good if you would wait for Rei before you leave. She told me yesterday that her club won't be meeting this afternoon, so I figured that you two should come here together."

At first, Miyeon's words sound innocent enough, as you agree that it's a good idea for you and Rei to head there together. At the same time, you of all people know your sister's mischievous side very well, which led you to assume that she's up to something when she offered you her suggestion.

"You're getting rusty, Miyeon-noona. I thought I told you so many times that Rei-chan and I aren't like that at all! Sure we're friends, but right now, there's really nothing going on between us. So let's just drop the subject, okay?"

"No can do, my little brother. Ever since you told me about that game that you're playing between you and her friends, I never felt this happy before. After years of waiting, you're about to have your very first girlfriend, and it might be her!" Miyeon said excitedly through the phone, as you could already imagine that she's causing a ruckus in the shop for speaking so loudly.

"Aish, I won't be so sure about it just yet. I thought I told you what will happen if I lose, didn't I? It's back to square one if I did."

"Don't be such a pessimist. But we'll talk later. Just wait for her there in the meantime, as I'm sure that she'll be happy if you two will go together. She's such a sweet girl. Anyways, bye for now!"

"Bye, noona. I'll see you in a bit."

You then let out a sigh as you head back to the campus building in order to wait for Rei. Luckily, it was easy to find an empty bench that's near the entrance, and being there will allow you to easily spot her once she's there.

"I guess it won't take too long for her to be here, since she doesn't have any club activities today. I must say, she's always been a busy person, and that a lot of her classmates rely on her, which is pretty much all the time. I pity her whenever I see her looking very tired."

Soon after, the girl you've been waiting for was already walking towards the exit. Upon noticing you, she smiled before she greets you.

"Good afternoon, Y/N. I didn't know that you'll still be here. Were you waiting for me?" She asked you.