01 | Ice Queen

"Welcome, dear viewers, to channel 7 news! Your most trustworthy source for New York News! This just in, the rising superhero Ebony Enchantress has captured yet another villain! If she continues this streak, she may rise to be one of New Yorks' best! It's tough to get noticed, but Ebony..."

The voice on the television grew fuzzy as Denali Foxx began to drift off, sinking further into the couch in her living room. Before she could get more comfortable, however, Jackie's voice cut through, waking her up. "Wow, Ebony Enchantress has been on the news a lot lately, the media loves her! Have you ever worked with her?" Denali sat up, rubbed her eyes, and yawned. "No- she doesn't seem to work too much at night. Plus, she mostly works in Manhatten." Looking up, Denali was greeted with a warm mug of coffee from Jackie.

Jackie Cox, her saving grace (and roommate). Jackie was a gorgeous Persian girl, she had beautiful brown eyes and brown hair, and Denali was shocked when she learned Jackie was single. The two met when Jackie had put out an advertisement for a roommate that Denali applied to. Denali was new to New York City, and as a fellow quiet college student like Jackie, the two were a perfect fit. They had been friends for around 4 years, Jackie has now graduated college and is an engineer, while Denali is in her last year of online college, working towards her degree.

Denali accepted the mug, muttering out a 'thanks' to her roommate. She steadily drank, becoming more and more awake. "Awake now, 'Ice Queen'?" Jackie teased. "Oh, leave me alone!" Denali whined, "I had just gotten my powers! I couldn't think of anything else to call myself!" Jackie laughed at her, "Go get ready. You said you were going out tonight, and you need to make good on your word! I wanna see you on the News someday!"

Denali got up and made her way to her room. Around three years ago, she had mysteriously received her ice powers (hence her very creative name). There were only two ways to get powers, you could have them passed down to you or you could be born with them. Neither of which happened to Denali. She didn't really know how, but by this point, she stopped caring. She was a hero, and that was all she focused on.

She looked at herself in the mirror: she looked a bit messy from her nap earlier. She brushed out her bright blonde (almost white, really) hair. Her hair went down to her upper back, and she carefully braided it. She washed her face carefully and then changed into her hero costume- a simple icy blue skin-tight suit with fur around the edges, something she and Jackie made together. Her brown eyes were her most notable feature, a stark contrast to both the suit and her hair. Hearing Jackie pacing around, she headed back towards the living room.

"You look gorgeous!" Jackie smiled, handing her a jacket. Denali rolled her eyes and slipped the jacket on, "You say that every time! I've only been doing this for three years!" The two exited their apartment and made their way to the roof using the stairs. Once on the roof, Jackie handed her the mask that matched her suit and took the jacket from her. "Be safe!" Jackie called out to her as Denali made her way towards the edge. She waved goodbye as she watched Jackie disappear back down to their apartment.

Smiling, Denali looked over the edge towards the people below. Their apartment wasn't the tallest building around by any means, but it still had a pretty good view of the street below. She sat on the ledge and produced a snow cloud in her hand. Messing around with the flurries, she sighed before getting up. "Well...crime isn't going to solve itself," she muttered before flying into the cold, December air.

-

Flying came with the powers, thank god. Denali couldn't fathom how she would have gotten around without it. She patrolled around the city for a while, before bumping into Tina Burner. "Hello, Ice Queen. Still using that one?" Denali sighed, "It's the only one I have, Tina. We can't all use our regular names, y'know. Some of us wanna have private lives!" she teased. Tina rolled her eyes, "Could have at least picked a better name~" she sang, "Well, I'll see you around, I've got business in manhattan." she gave Denali a small wave as she flew off.