Chapter 28: Sketchbook

Donna brought another box up to the second floor. This box was filled with string, fabric and other things she used to make clothing. Resting on top of the box was her sketchbook. Dawn was breaking and golden light attempted to shine through the closed curtains in the living room. On the couch lay Ethan Winters. He had finally fallen asleep nearly seven hours ago. In the middle of the night, he had shivered and Donna placed a thick blanket over him to keep him warm. On the coffee table was a plate of food Donna had made a half-hour ago.

But she didn't want to bother him by waking him just to tell him she made breakfast. She didn't know how he'd react if she tried. Donna really didn't want to be hit by him again like the first time he had entered her home, even if she had removed her hallucinogenic flowers. Unlike Ethan, Donna had been up all night worrying about Lex. So much so she found it impossible to sleep. Even Angie wasn't able to rest.

She set the box down on the bed in a large room that was located on the second floor. During the long hours, she thought she might as well do something to pass the time. Besides, she had been entertaining the idea of moving her bedroom out of the basement and to the second floor while Lex had been recovering from her injuries.

***

''Hey Lex, can I ask you something?'' Donna asked, pausing where she was in the novel she had been reading to the woman.

''Of course you can.'' Lex said, her eyes traveling from the window and to the Dollmaker.

''What was your childhood like?'' Donna's cheeks flushed red.

Lex seemed to hesitate, as if thinking of how she could answer the question. After a minute, Donna was going to change the subject but Lex let out a quiet huff. 

''There isn't much to tell. I usually stayed in my room while my... parents...'' Donna heard the obvious resentment in her words towards the people Lex called parents. Despite that, the snowy haired woman continued. ''I mainly took care of myself when I was little. I got by on the kindness of others for a long time. I use to colour my hair black with charcoal in order to blend in.''

Donna saw Lex's good hand tremble into a closed fist. Worry began to over take Donna's mind. She didn't mean to bring up painful memories; she was just curious.

''If I may inquire, what about you? What was your childhood like?'' Lex hesitantly asked. Donna hadn't expected the injured woman to ask her about her own childhood. ''You don't have to answer if you're not comfortable.'' Lex added quickly.

''No no, it's alright. It's only fair I tell you. After all, I asked you first.'' Donna cleared her throat as Angie scooted towards Lex's cheek to remove her band-aids. Much to Donna's dismay, the cuts still weren't healing. But thankfully, they had finally stopped bleeding. 

''Well, I lost my parents a long time ago...'' Donna could feel the tears beginning to surface as soon as the words left her, but she kept herself composed. ''I only had Angie for a long time after that. I did have a gardener, he was very kind to me. But he's long since passed.'' she paused, taking in a breath. She still thought of that kind old man sometimes. Sadly, due to the hallucinogenic flowers she had him plant, he had passed away.

''I suppose I was sort of like you.'' Lex tilted her head at the words. ''I was a kid who was stuck in her room. I suppose, there isn't much more to say about it.'' she let out a small chuckle. ''When you're a kid and you're stuck in your room,''

''You'll do any old shit to get out of it.'' Lex chuckled. Donna giggled along, but Angie had smacked Lex's cheek and caused the cuts to bleed once more.

''Hey! No cussing in front of the child!'' the doll gestured to Donna.

''Angie! Don't hit her, her cuts are bleeding again and they've only just stopped now!'' Donna exclaimed, going over to Lex and opening new band-aids.

''Thank you, Donna. And also,'' Lex looked at the porcelain doll. ''Pot calling the kettle black, huh, Lady Angie?'' Lex had a small, confident grin on her face.

''Oh shut up! I don't fucking cuss in front of Don-'' Angie immediately stopped talking and palmed her face. Donna couldn't help but laugh.

***

''Hey Donna, whatcha' smiling at?'' her friend asked curiously. Donna hadn't even realized that Angie had removed her veil or that she had ceased all movements. Quickly, the Dollmaker snatched the veil back.

''Just reminiscing.'' she answered, placing her veil over her head once more. Before she left however, she picked up her sketchbook and flipped through the pages. Many of the models in the drawings were Angie. There were a few models of Karl and her nieces here and there. Then, she came across a model of Alcina.

The model was wearing a white blazer with a black, low neck undershirt and white pants with her usual black gloves and the three roses on her chest. Her signature black, brim hat topping off the sketch. It was an outfit that she had designed and made for her sister. When she had shown the sketch to Alcina, she was more than thrilled. After all, her older sister wanted something other than a dress to wear for a very special occasion. The day her sister wore this outfit was the day Alcina had proposed to Rue.

Her fingers brushed against the paper and her heart clenched painfully. Her shoulders began to shake and fat, hot tears threatened to roll down her cheek. Angie must have felt her shoulders shake because the doll once more, removed Donna's veil and began brushing her tears away. The Dollmaker took in slow, shaky breaths as she stared down at the page.

A shaking hand went to the top and grasped it. Her arm desperately wanted to rip the page from her book for what Alcina had done to Lex, but something inside her fought against it. She wanted to shred the page into hundreds of pieces and incinerate it, but she couldn't seem to muster the mental strength to go through with it.

Donna felt a small hand on her bicep and she turned her head. Angie had a concern expression on her face but didn't say anything. The Dollmaker felt a few tears escape her eye, which resulted in her friend immediately brushing them away when the surfaced. Donna's heart was heavy as she removed her hand from the top of the page, flipping through the rest of the sketchbook to continue browsing it.

The next sketch she came came across was one of Lex that she used for a model. It was for the waistcoat Donna had made for her. But there was an addition that she didn't remember making. Around the model's neck was Lex's blue scarf that looked like it was blowing in the wind. In fact, the model was much more detailed than the others. It was more of a full body portrait of Lex than a sketch for clothing. 

Lex was looking off to the side with a seemingly neutral expression. But her eye held a profound sadness that must have been present all throughout her life. Her only visible blue eye was dark and her hair casted a shadow over her left eye.

She knew it was only a drawing, but Donna could feel the aura around it. It was heavy with sorrow and a crushing feeling of despair. Even in a drawing, she could tell that Lex was grieving. The colours she used were of black and white for Lex's clothing. Her skin on the other hand was a lonely, light gray colour. The scarf was dark blue with its faint zigzag pattern visible. Lex's blue scarf was the only thing that seemed to have life in it.

Donna tore herself away from the drawing and flipped through the book until she came to a blank page. She looked through her box and grabbed a few different pencils before placing her veil back on and returning downstairs.

She went to the living room and saw Ethan beginning to stir from his rest. The man groaned and rolled onto his side, forcing his eyes open. He looked confused for a moment but the must have remembered where he was. Donna swallowed and held Angie in front of her.

''Good morning Ethan.'' she said through Angie. The man looked at her.

''Oh, uh, hello.'' he said hesitantly.

''You've sleeping for a while. Breakfast in on the coffee table. I'm just going to make some tea, I won't take long.'' she said. Before the man could answer, she walked away with Angie and her sketchbook pressed tightly to her chest.

Oh Lex... I miss you... Please return home safe and soon... Donna silently begged. She knew it was foolish, but she hoped Lex could hear her.