"A little-!" you admit, squeaking when your fingers brush against the plate and it almost clatters to the ground.

Easing your feet from tippy toes, you grumble, crossing your arms. From the corner of your eye, you spot Kaeya shuffling. "Who's not excited about leaving? Still, I like it here! So, I'm sad."

Even sadder because you can't reach the muffin.

"Yeah, I get the feeling," the spark of giddiness is uncontrollable the second you realize that the blue-haired boy is taking the plate from the table. "The people here are nice, after all!"

He lowers the plate of sweets to your level and grins as you squeal your thanks, hands reaching for the piece of muffin you've been salivating minutes ago from.

Before the pastry touches your hands, however, he snags it and takes a huge bite, laughing obnoxiously at the look of betrayal on your face.

"It's sad without you, too!" says Kaeya, words jumbled from eating at the same time as he speaks. Paying extreme attention on your horrified expression, he proceeds to munch on the sweet pastry, his stare glinting with utter mischief.

"My brother's pretty okay though, we're good buddies!"

"Kaeya, give me a muffin!"

"Yeah, I'm in good hands."

"Kaeyaaaaa!"

When the clock strikes five in the afternoon, a car pulls up in front of the building. A fancy one that you'd often see in the movies, black with a shine that seems to be there at all times even when there is an obvious lack of light.

You walk by the side of the blue-haired boy, eating away happily at a newly baked muffin he and the rest of the children helped bake.

A man with crimson hair rolls down the car window, beckoning your friend to hop on in so they can return home.

Home.

Kaeya notices your dispirited form before you can even process it yourself, and messes with your hair again with a grin. He had the heart not to shove your face down on the muffin, thankfully—but you're still miffed.

Though it's abated a little when you see his tiny smile and pinky extended towards your direction. "I may be gone, but that doesn't mean I won't visit, you crybaby."

"Who are you calling a crybaby, you big baby?!" you exclaim, obviously crying.

"You are, duh." He retorts, crying himself.

Still, you entwine your pinky with his, both sniffling like there's no tomorrow.

And then he waves you goodbye, as do the red-haired man in the front seat. If you tip your toes, you'd see someone of a shorter stature beside him, but you're not too sure if it's just your blurry vision playing tricks.

Kaeya repeats that he'll visit again—and the car drives away.

As you stand by the entrance wiping your tears, you hear your name being called, probably so that you'll finish the dinner you left behind. After a call that you're going there, you start to move—only stopping when it feels like you're not carrying anything.

That's weird.

Looking down at your hands—

"... He stole my muffin.."

You can't even be mad. 

A/N

DISCLAIMER: Genshin Impact and its characters don't belong to me. I only own the plot for the fanfiction.

HUWAZZAH- First small segment of the pre-story done! There won't be too much, perhaps three or five? I'm not sure lmao- but this is a quick jump into MC's childhood, huh :DD

All pre-stories/in-betweens/after-stories will be rather short compared to the ficlets, for obvious reasons lol since they're simply expansions, but worry not! We'll be able to cover everything, still.

For now, perhaps wonder how Kaeya and MC already know each other from the beginning? :'))