𝐬𝐞𝐫𝐞𝐧𝐝𝐢𝐩𝐢𝐭𝐲 | daminette

Start from the beginning

"Listen to me," she said, "Nothing harmful is going to happen. You have my word and my honour on that because I would not allow it."

Marinette nodded slowly, and Sabine allowed herself one small smile; a rare show of emotion.

"Shall we leave?"

»»————-  ————-««

Damian tapped his foot impatiently as subtly as possible while he waited for Marinette. He would definitely like to get this over with and was sure that Marinette would too.

The room, which was previously filled with almost-inaudible whispers, went completely silent as the imperceptible door in the corner opened slowly.

Feeling his breath hitch, Damian gaped at the admittedly-beautiful form he knew very well as Marinette. She was completely draped in silk and her pale skin contrasted painfully with the dark colours.

In short, Damian was absolutely and completely gobsmacked.

He didn't snap out of his trance until Marinette was directly in front of him and raised a delicate eyebrow.

Immediately flushing, Damian hoped that no one noticed his unexpected leave from reality.

He flinched when he felt Tahlia's hand on his shoulder, her icy voice sending ice cubes down his spine.

"Shall we get started with the ceremony?"

It was a rhetorical question and in response, Damian and Marinette stepped forward apprehensively.

Tahlia snapped her fingers and two shadowy figures slipped out and handed her two jewel-encrusted goblets filled to the brim with a clear liquid.

"Drink." She commanded sharply.

Damian made eye-contact with Marinette and pushed the goblet towards his lips. The goblet's contents slid down his throat with a surprising amount of ease; Damian expected it to be thick.

It was an odourless, tasteless liquid and if Damian couldn't feel it, he wouldn't realise he was even consuming it. As soon as he swallowed it, a sharp pain erupted in the back of his neck.

Marinette gasped, stumbling, and almost instinctively, Damian stepped forward and caught her quickly.

Ignoring everyone around him, he asked her, "Are you okay?"

"Yes," she said breathlessly, "The pain just shocked me."

Tahlia stepped in between them, pushing the two of them away from each other. "Stand five feet away from each other."

They did as directed, and without warning, Tahlia began to chant in an unknown language.

The room was completely silent with the exception of Tahlia's chants.

Damian's hand began to sting.

At first, he thought nothing of it, but as Tahlia's chants grew louder and louder, almost echoing in the room, the pain increased to the point where he couldn't feel his hand anymore.

Damian uncovered his hand from his sleeve and nearly gasped at the sight before him. His hand was pale; too pale to be healthy.

The pain increased, and so did Tahlia's chants.

His arm felt like it was going to fall off, it was so laden with pain. Vaguely, Damian heard Marinette gasping for it to stop, and he wondered how she was able to speak at all. His mouth seemed to be glued shut.

Tahlia's chanting stopped abruptly. She was heaving for air; the most uncomposed as Damian had ever seen her.

"Swear it," she hissed. "Swear your fealty to each other."