II

The car ride from the prison was long as you looked out of the windows of Dale’s sleek BMW, the trees that were once beautiful and green were now bare and dead for the most part. The heat was suffocating compared to what you remembered before being incarcerated all these years ago.

“What do I do now?” You asked Dale, turning to look at him.

Dale’s face looked mostly the same as when you first met him, given wrinkles littered around his eyes and mouth; his once dark brown hair now had grey mixed in. If you saw Dale out in public, he would be the type of charismatic man that made people want to hear him tell stories about his life. His hazel eyes focused on the road ahead of him as the midday sun illuminated his farmer’s tanned skin as he responded.

“We start your new life. I’m driving you to a reintroductionary program to help you get back on your feet. It's only a temporary program but I know you'll adjust perfectly." Dale turns onto the state road as you begin to see little signs of society fill the area. 

"Now I have a question for you." Dale's slightly southern accent was soothing to you- something that reminded you of a home you've never experienced yet know. 

"Are you asking as my lawyer or as my friend?" You responded. It's always been an ongoing joke between the two of you to counter each other's questions with that exact question. 

Dale chuckled softly, his fingertips softly tapped against his steering wheel as he waited at a stop light. "I'm asking this as both. I know you were trying to cover for someone."

You froze in your seat, surprised that Dale would bring this up so soon. Although you understood Dale asking you about you taking the blame. Memories of Billy and Stu flooded your mind as Dale noticed how you suddenly went quiet. 

"(Y/N),  I don't know the situation but if you do have any information about who might be the one responsible, it's in your best interest to come out with it.. As a friend, and lawyer of yours for the past two decades, I want your best interest.. The sooner the killers get caught, the less victims there will be.." 

The feeling of your throat becoming dry made you realize the reality that the men you loved with all your heart were most likely starting their killings again. You wanted to tell Dale everything, to be able to get true justice for the victims back in 1996 and the victims presently. 

Yet, a darker part of yourself wanted to seek revenge on them. They left you to rot in a cell for twenty years. They promised to be there for you but they abandoned you. You wanted both of them to feel the way you felt, if not worse. 

"I understand completely. And I will let you know if I find anything out. I promise." Breaking the brief silence, you avoided the topic of taking the blame as Dale smiled softly, responding with a nod. 

It was a few hours later when you arrived at your temporary home. The rest of the trip to the program was a long and quiet ride after your response, excluding the occasional questions on if you needed any food or bathroom breaks. News reporters and people who wanted you to stay in prison scattered around the complex, multiple people asking questions about the case while there’s other people who yelled obscenities and cursed your way. . 

The building itself looked more like an apartment  building. It was bare for the most part, a light beige was painted on the building as flowers were blooming around the entrance. Scents of California poppies and Hibiscuses filled your nose as you walked towards the main entrance of the building. 

Dale Shielded you, pushing through the crowd as he led you to the front door, holding the door opener for you. You entered the building with your box in hand as an older woman sat behind the reception desk. The woman had a rough look about her, her tattoos littered her arms and her short choppy brown hair suited her perfectly as you stood beside Dale. 

"Good afternoon, Miss Tara." Dale greeted Tara with a slight smile as he continued. "This is (Y/N), the recently released client I was talking to you about." Dale referred to you as Miss Tara looked up at you, her blue eyes darted towards you. 

"Hello (y/n), I'm Miss Tara. I run this place. I spent my time in prison myself, a decade back in '80. Before you ask, it’s best you don’t ask. This place is for recently released inmates to have a chance to transfer back into modern society." She guides you towards one of the rooms with a key in her hand. 

"The rules are very simple. You are expected to get a job in order to stay here. We work with local businesses to help get you back on your feet. You must pass random weekly drug tests. You will get kicked out if you commit any crimes while staying here” She looked down at you, her scowl was imprinted onto her sharp jawline as she continued.  “Since your situation is different compared to others, I will work with you to get you into a place of your own once we fully integrate you back into modern times." 

The room looked like a miniature home more than the basic small apartments. There’s a fridge and microwave for cooking. The full sized bed was near the window. There was a telephone on the bedside table. The bathroom was on the other side of the room near the entrance of your room. “We will leave you to unpack and relax. There’s some frozen meals and drinks in the fridge if you’re hungry. I will have someone come over in the morning to help you with clothing and job applications.” Tara bluntly looks to you as she guides Dale out of the room, saying a good night as they close the door behind them.

Putting the box on your bed, you take the remote controller and turn on the t.v. across your bed. News reports showed you walking inside the building with the words ‘Woodsburrow slasher freed because of new DNA evidence.’ The reporters were chatting about the crime, making you sighed quietly as you started unpacking the cardboard box. As you were tucking your paperwork inside the bedside drawer, the worn photo of You, Billy, and Stu fell onto your lap. You picked up the picture, cringing at how stupid you were for ever falling for them; protecting them at the cost of your freedom and future. Soft tears begin to form in your eyes as you finally are able to let out all the pain, hurt, and anger that you had forced inside of you.

Just as you were about to wipe away some of the tears off your cheeks, the phone rings. You quickly picked it up, thinking it was Dale wishing you good night or Tara wanting to let you know about something she forgot to tell you.

“Hello?”
“Hello, (Y/n). Remember us?”