001. wisteria

✥﹤┈┈┈┈┈┈┈┈﹥✥

row after row of swaying branches of the wisteria trees, you gazed upon the way it entranced you. reaching up, you gently caress the petals of a nearby branch of wisteria.

letting go after a few moments, you continue down the dirt path. you've been walking for quite a while, and the wisteria trees had finally confirmed that you reached your destination.

looking around, your eyes observed the other twenty or so people there. it looked like you were just in time because two children appeared out of seemingly nowhere.

"everyone.. we thank you for coming here tonight. to the demon slayer corps' final selection." one of the children spoke. they were very eerie, you noted.

"there are demons imprisoned here on mt. fujikasane, captured alive by the demon slayer swordsmen, and unable to leave." the adjacent child continued. this is obviously rehearsed.. how many times have they done this already?

"this is because wisteria, which demons hate so much, blooms year-round from the bottom to halfway up the mountain." they alternated yet again. this is now getting quite confusing.

"however, the is no wisteria from this point on, and so demons abound."

"you'll need to survive here for seven days to pass the final selection."

then, they both gave an in-sync bow and spoke in unison, "and now, be on your way."

okay, simple enough, was the only thought that had occupied your mind at that moment.

walking up and past the children with the others, you made sure to mumble them a small 'thank you' and give them both a pat on the head before continuing on your way.

✥﹤┈┈┈┈┈┈┈┈﹥✥

the arrays of wisteria trees soon leaving your vision, the first thing you did was climb up a high tree. mapping your surroundings, you slowly etched the view into your mind.

it was still relatively bright out, so you situated yourself on one of the more sturdy branches of the tree. with nothing else to do you rested your eyes, as you waited for nightfall to arrive.

eventually, you are awoken by minuscule rustling down below, so you forced your eyes open. you slowly peered over the edge of your spot, sighting three demons trying to quietly climb up to you.

you scoffed at them, wishing they would tear each others heads off, so you wouldn't have to do anything. unfortunately, that's not how it works.

you rolled off the side of the branch and unsheathed your sword mid-air. landing one on of the demons' shoulders, you sent it tumbling back down.

the demon fell on his back and you landed on his shoulders, the one of your three opponents glared daggers at you. if looks could kill, you'd be dead by now. not at the 'eyes' of the demon in front of you, though.

before the demon below you could do or say anything, you quickly sliced their head off.

"you bitch!" the demon screamed, rushing at you. by now the other demon had jumped down and also ran at you.

"can i help you?" you asked him, feigning innocence of the decapitation you committed moments before. dodging both demons' attempt at your life, you side-stepped them twice over and jumped backwards.

"my mother is dead." he snarled, getting much angrier by your comment.

"really? never could have guessed." you mocked. you rushed past the demon, and landed not far behind him.