Pep talks can lead to Friendship

[Y/n], Mirabel and Camilo are 10.
Pepa is 45.

The next morning, you were rudely awakened by a small body jumping onto you. “Oof,” you grunted as your younger sister started to shake you awake, screaming and shouting all the while. “Ah, I got it, I got it,” you groaned, burying your face into your pillow while the other held your sister at arm’s length. “Just gimme a few more minutes.”

“No! Wake up”—she inhaled and screamed louder—“now!!!”

Unable to physically take it anymore, you exclaimed, “Rena!!!” It took a few seconds but when the door opened again, you raised your head from the pillow to stare at your older sister, Serena, who, being a heaven-sent, had a tray of food—oh, sweet! Breakfast in bed!—in her hands.

“Good morning, [N/n].” She smiled, walking over to you. She grabbed Verona and dragged her off you, gently plopping her on the ground next to the bed before placing the tray on your lap. “Looks like I didn’t manage to stop the gremlin after all.” Verona grumbled by the sidelines, but a glare from your older sister was enough to shut her up. “I decided to take care of her today because you didn’t get to rest yesterday, so you’re free to do whatever,” Serena informed. “Enjoy!” She grabbed Verona’s collar and pulled her out with her.

You heaved a sigh of relief, grateful you didn’t have to ask your older sister to care for the monstrosity of a younger sibling. Serena was older than you, though only by a few months. The both of you were born during the same year, but she was born in January while you were a December baby. Due to being the same age, you two spent most of your time together. You and her argued and fought a lot, sure, but it was mostly light-hearted and friendly bickering.

Besides, you had a goal in mind for the day: find Mirabel Madrigal and become her best friend. From what you knew via Bruno, although Mirabel was optimistic and kind, she didn’t have many—or any, for that matter—companions besides her family. Originally, people might have thought that it was because of the difference in social standing but since she didn’t receive a Gift, they most likely thought that it would be no use befriending her.

A Madrigal, with a gift or not, should be not be lonely in this world of hardship. With that thought, you ate your breakfast, got changed and set out on your mission.

However, the moment you stepped out of the house, your optimism immediately went down the drain. There were so many people wandering around in the day, and you did not do well with crowds. You glanced around but couldn’t find an open area. Ah, but Madrigals would be in the centre of everything, won’t they? You thought to yourself while fidgeting with the strap of your crossbody bag. You took a deep breath. Okay, here goes nothing.

You walked amongst the crowd, mostly sticking to yourself while keeping an eye out. Whenever you saw a Madrigal, you would turn your heel and walk the other way. You were pretty sure you encountered Luisa and Isabela a couple of times already, but you still couldn’t find Mirabel. Now, you could ask them if they knew where Mirabel was, but they seemed busy and you didn’t want to bother them.

After seeing them for the nth time in ten minutes, you wondered if you were just wandering in circles like the dumbass you were without realising it. Then you felt a tap on your shoulder and turned around, jumping in surprise. In front of you was Dolores. Not the Madrigal you wanted but she would do in the quest of finding Mirabel.

“Are you okay?” she asked. “I’ve seen you walk around this area fifteen times already.”

Your face flushed in embarrassment. So you really were walking around in circles. “Ah, actually, I was just looking for Mirabel. Do you, perhaps, know where she might be…?”