Chapter 34 (revised)

Start from the beginning

Eventually, I made myself walk towards the door. Please don't be mad at me.

I could feel my eyes wanting to tear up and my hands shook. I pulled my coat on, feeling the dull ache in my chest grow into a stabbing pain.

I paused and looked at her, she kept her back to me, her head still lowered.

Please say something, anything.

My jaw clenched when she said nothing else. I gripped the doorknob, I shut my eyes tightly. Believe me, I want nothing more but to turn back to you.

I opened my eyes and turned the doorknob. I hadn't even left yet and I already miss you.

I closed the door behind me, feeling my eyes tear up slightly. I took a shaky breath, biting my lip.

My chest felt heavy as I stepped off the final step, making my way back to my lonely house.

Of course, this gets ruined too.

(Hunter's POV)

I sat on my couch, a balled up tissue in my hand.

The house was dark and quiet again, lonely. I looked up at the pictures on my wall, looking at the picture of my mom on the wall. I wish you were here...

Buccaneer or Miles?

No. I don't want to talk to them.

I stood by the phone, dialling. I waited as the phone connected.

"Yes?"

I shut my eyes at the tone of her voice. "Armstrong?"

"What is it Devlin? Why are you calling so-"
She stopped talking when she heard my jagged sobs through the phone.

I took a shaky breath. "I'm... sorry.. for calling.. calling so late but..." I paused, taking in a deep breath, trying to gather myself. "Mustang.."

"Stand on your own Devlin."

I nodded, taking some comfort in her words. I can't help but feel a little embarrassed calling her like this, but she's not yelling or getting angry so, I guess it's alright.

She stayed on the phone while I let my annoying, shaky sobs leave my mouth. And then after a while, my breath evened and I felt calmer.

Either, I was done crying or I had cried all my tears and there was nothing left.

"Drink some water, go to bed. I'll see you tomorrow Devlin."

I took a breath. "Yes sir, goodnight."

———

I walked along the halls the next morning, dreading having to see him. I was afraid to look at him.

"Devlin." Armstrong found me.

I saluted. "Good morning sir." And started following her.

"How are you this morning?"

I shrugged. "As well as can be expected."

She scoffed. "What can you expect from someone as pompous as Mustang? You're better off."

I nodded. "Yes sir."

"We have a few meetings this morning and I've found some work to keep you busy." She kept walking and then she stopped, however I hadn't noticed and kept walking.

I realized and stopped.

"You want to avoid him, don't you?" She pointed ahead. I turned and looked, and there he was, standing like an idiot.