C5. Lights Off.

Sunny seemed nervous the whole day.

He kept shooting you weird looks, but at least he wasn't avoiding you this time.

Nighttime arrived all too quickly. Maribelle was at the daycare again today- she said her older brothers and father often went to get pizza and would leave her there- but she wasn't as shy. She still didn't want to play with the other kids, though, and instead sat at one of the bright orange picnic tables and doodled with you. She said you were a really good artist. You knew she was just trying to be nice about the deformed cat on your paper.

Waving goodbye to Maribelle, as she was the last one gone again, you smile to yourself at yet another successful day. You felt as if you were finally getting the hang of things. Maybe the daycare wasn't so bad.

After cleaning around the play area, you find Sunny sitting at the edge of the ballpit, hugging himself. You sit quietly next to him. "Are you okay? You've been acting weird all day."

"I'm just nervous," He admits, "The lights usually go off every hour at night, conserving the power or something. I don't want you to be here for that, since you're staying for the night shift and all."

You look down. You still don't know what's up with the lights. You never remembered to ask. It didn't seem so important to you then, or even now. "Does... something bad happen? With the lights off?" Your mind considers any and all possibilities, but no dangerous reason that you can come up with makes sense. Maybe you just aren't that creative. Hell, you already discovered that while drawing with Maribelle.

"Oh yes yes yes," Sunny says, his voice trailing off to a mutter, "Very bad things happen. Very bad."

You hesitate. After hearing about why Sunny couldn't go into the playplaces anymore, you don't really trust his judgement too much on what is truly 'Bad.' For all you know, he could mean when the lights go off he starts knocking over boxes without remorse like some sort of Sunzilla. Because that would be horrifying.

"Look Sunny, I promise I'll be fine. You'll be fine." You assure him, placing your hand on his.

He stares back at you with pleading eyes. "You promise you won't leave me?" He asks, his voice timid and small.

"Of course not," You reply, "I promise I won't leave you. I'd never leave you, Sunny, I don-" You're cut off by a sudden clattering from upstairs. Shit. Someone's here.

You and Sunny exchange a wild glance before he shoots up and yanks you to your feet. "Oh, I wonder who that could be!" He whispers excitedly. You realize the looks you gave each other meant two different things entirely. Clearly he was over the moon. Pun intended.

You grab his shoulders frantically, "Look Sunny, there shouldn't be anyone here. We have to hide." He only stares back with mild confusion.

"But..." He begins, "Aren't you the security guard for tonight? We should see who it is! I'll be backup!" You silently curse his goofy face.

"We can see who it is from a hidden area.", You hurriedly whisper. "We'll have an advantage that way. Plus, they might not even come into this area, we should just stay here." You know you're taking the coward's way out as soon as the words leave your mouth, but you really don't want to go find out who it is.

"The balcony!" Sunny gasps, "We can hide up there!"

You stare at him in disbelief for a moment. "No, I- I'm not going up to the-"

"YOU PINKY PROMISED!" Sunny exclaims in a loud whisper, holding his pinky out as if you need a reminder. You shush him, nervously staring up at the balcony.