The Easter Bunny [chapter 1]

lil disclaimer before you start reading: the PROLOGUE is actually part of the story. if you skipped over it, please go back and read it. idc about the intro and wether or not that was read, but i do care about the prologue.

"What the hell is that?" Mirabel stared down at the plate in front of her with absolute disgust.

Y/n did the same, slowly pushing the plate away and looking up at Camilo with concern, "I don't know, but I'm not eating that."

They'd been roped into yet another one of Camilo's taste testings. He'd make some sort of concoction consisting of things that should not be mixed together and then serve it to y/n and Mirabel to try. Everything always either reeked or looked weird... and occasionally even sounded weird. Don't ask.

"Oh, come on Señorita," Camilo begged the girl who was pushing his plat of "food" that took hours to make. He gave her puppy dog eyes to match with the cuteness of his freckles, "I worked very hard on that!"

"I can tell," Mirabel nodded, trying to hide how she truly felt about this... potion.

Their childhood friend, on the other hand, still looked at it with absolute disgust, "I don't think you worked hard enough on trying to kill whatever you put in this though. I think I can still hear it screaming for help." A smile spread across her lips as she heard Mirabel laugh, "Hold on. It's saying, 'Camilo, no! Don't kill me and use me in something nobody will even eat!' 'You're so cruel Camilo' 'My pointless death will be avenged!'"

Julieta laughed as she entered the dining room. She'd let the kitchen doors shut behind her in a graceful way with the help of Casita. A plate with several slices of pan tumaca on top. She placed it on the table, letting out a small 'ooh' sound when she accidentally got a whiff of Camilo's new recipe. "Camilo, sweetie, you may want to try coming in the kitchen and watching me cook for a bit. Your, er— recipes, are very outside of the box. I think that they're just so good that you may wanna try something boring and stay just a little bit closer to the box..."

Mirabel and y/n lost it. They held their stomachs as laughter spewed out of their mouth from Julieta's indirect-direct roast. Camilo just stood still with his apron on and a frown on his face. He let of some grumbled curses as he took a seat next to the only person in the room that wasn't a Madrigal (yet).

"You just got burned!" Mirabel pointed at Camilo, talking over the cackles the girl next to Camilo continued to let out. "By my mamá too!"

Camilo let a blush of embarrassment settle over his cheeks as he took the apron he was wearing off and handed it to his aunt. She disappeared back in the kitchen to begin making lunch for the family. Casita brought him his poncho which he'd abandoned on the railing of the staircase when he rushed to the kitchen after he was allowed a break from his chores. He pulled it on to once again conceal his body underneath the loose fabric.

The three of them started to much on the snacks Mirabel's mother was kind enough to bring them. Through the food in his mouth, Camilo spoke, "Now I thinks it's time we get down to business. Casita, bring me my chalkboard... please."

With the added kindness, Casita brought Camilo just as he'd asked for. The tiles moved, floorboards working their magic in helping the chalkboard get where it needed to go. Mirabel and y/n could see a detailed presentation convincing his abuela to let him do something. Right as Camilo was about to begin, Antonio walked in, holding tightly onto his emotional support stuffed tiger.

"Can I have one?" the youngest member of the Madrigal family asked. He was referring to the thing that was hanging out of y/n's mouth as she patiently waited for Camilo to tell her what bullshit he'd planned and how she was just going to make the plan worse.