Chapter 9: They Are Sharks

Start from the beginning

The team dispersed from dad and ran to the other side of the field. I had to get closer to him and I couldn't stay here. Dad just needed to get closer, to I had to get closer to him. With a deep breath, I walked onto the stadium just as dad ran further from me as he followed some players.

Panic hit me like a bucket of ice water. My breath caught in my throat as I stared at him run farther from me. Out in the open, the players would see me, they would whisper. 

My eyes darted around for a place of refuge from prying eyes. Quickly, I made contact with the plastic, foldable drink table. Without wasting a moment, I crawled underneath it, hoping I could stay here until dad came closer.

Minutes passed as I tapped my fingers on my thigh as I waited for dad to come. The longer I waited, the more anxiety consumed me, like a burning bonfire on a summer night. I just hoped I wouldn't say here much longer.

I saw Tad's shoes approach the drink table. He stood there for a moment, then got on his hands and knees to grin at me. "Hey. Like the view down there?" Tad asked.

"SSSSHhhh," I hushed him as I looked around, making sure no one saw my hiding spot.

Without saying anything, Tad crawled under the table beside me. He looked out through the gaps in tablecloth silence for a moment before turning to me and saying, "You know, you're great at hiding, but you can't hide forever."

A pit formed in my stomach instantly, knowing this was true. I just didn't want to admit it. Instead, I wanted to hide until everyone forgot about it. 

Just as I was starting to feel like I was part of a team, this happened. No player would view me as the same anymore. How could I build a relationship with them if they saw me as the crying coach's daughter? Going to that party screwed everything up. "Do you think the whole team knows what happened on Friday?"

He shrugged. "Probably not."

"But there is a chance."

"Of course, there is always a chance. But listen, that's not the point. I heard someone was drugging the girls drinks that night. So, I don't think they want to talk about how coach's daughter was there. I think most people want to move on from that night."

My mouth fell open as the hair on my arms stood up straight. I couldn't believe my ears. "What?" I heard of stories like this on the news, but never did I think it would happen in a place I went to. 

He nodded. "Keely, my friend on the cheer team, confirmed it this morning. Not many people are going to want to talk about Friday and if they did, I think you would be the last thing they discuss."

I frowned as I felt sick to my stomach. "Do they know who did it?"

Tad shook his head. "Have no clue and honestly, they won't find out. This happened last year, too."

"By the teammate that got kicked off the team?"

Tad nodded. "Yeah. Anyhow, I get it, parties aren't for you. I just thought it would be fun, and I was wrong. Look, I'm sorry I dragged you to it. I should have dropped it when you said no the first time."

His apology was kind, but my mind already shifted to different topics. "Who was the team member that got kicked off the team last year?"

Tad frowned as he looked around, as if he wasn't even allowed to speak his name.

"What is he? Voldemort?" I chuckled, but I had a feeling like this was no laughing matter.

"No, Voldemort is better than he is. Charles was seriously the worse person I had ever met for so many reasons."