Prologue

The group sat around the coffee table reluctantly, each having their respective letters in their laps. This was their first year of high school, well the summer beforehand. They all applied to the same school, but now in their hands was what told them if they made it or not.

  They had all been friends for as long as they could remember, they all grew up in the same town. Roman and Remus started it all, one finding the lone nerd Logan, and the other meeting Janus, who was the most manipulative four-year-old.

  Over time the group grew, going through splits and arguments. Eventually, Patton was found while Roman was trying to find damsels to save, helping the poor kid find his lost dog. Virgil came along when Janus helped ward off some kids teasing him.

  But now was the moment that would determine if they could stay together.

  Logan opened his letter, looking over it with an unsurprised expression. "I got in." He said, folding it back up and putting it back in the envelope. "Where's your sense of drama, Logan?!" Roman yelled, causing his brother to laugh.

  Virgil snickered too, causing Roman's face to redden with anger. "Look this is a big deal, guys! I worked hard and tirelessly to bring this group together and I don't want it to be torn apart by some stupid school!"

  Patton put a hand on his shoulder, shushing him like you would an agitated child. "How about the rest of us open it at the same time? Besides, let's face it we all know Logan was getting in, right?" After a collective of nods and agreement Roman sighed.

  "Alright, on three. One, two-" Before he could finish, Janus, budded in. "Also the putting the group together was like half you half Remus thing so-"

  "And three!" Roman said, choosing to ignore Janus's comments. A collective silence fell over them as they read the forms. Remus happily jumped up, pumping his fists in the air. Roman joined his brother, the two rejoicing about being accepted.

  Virgil looked at the paper in disbelief, catching Patton's attention. "Did you get in?" He asked, the edgy teen looking up. "Well yeah but I don't get how! It says they liked my artistic endeavors and my crafty-ness." Virgil said

  Patton chuckled. "Yeah, they said I was a free soul and kind-hearted. Bet it was the community service I did." Janus chuckled; "You helped at the shelter even after multiple allergic reactions."

  "I needed to make sure the animals were safe and didn't get hurt or killed, Jan!" Patton playfully nudged him, the two laughing.

  Logan hummed, looking over the group. "Guess this means we all got in then?" He asked; everyone's reactions beings a fair sum-up of yes. "This calls for a celebration! Our last day of summer shall not be wasted!" Logan groaned in annoyance.

  The group spent the rest of the night playing games, watching movies, and making forts. Everyone just enjoyed their last night before they became high schoolers, eventually falling to a sound sleep.

~
517 words