chapter twenty-eight ; always forever

(a/n: in celebration of Christmas, this is a chapter dedicated to it! thank you guys so much for waiting, this has been 'waiting for love'.)

third-person pov:
people nowadays - they would say that people would do the same thing if their minds thought alike of each other. they would also say that people would do anything if it had the name of their lover plastered over it.

there were people in this world.

their two hearts would beat at the same rate, their lives would as well have the same goal, and the gaze that they'd have in their eyes when they're laid upon each other make their entire world brighter.

people like them existed in this world.

"I have to go now laurie," y/n chuckled, rubbing her hands onto the other woman's shoulders, "I know you want me to stay but I can't." her tone was saddened and sorrowful, but the American nodded slowly.

"I know y/n, it's just that I have so much to finish in here too before I leave, but at the same time I wanna ditch all that and go home." laurie mumbled quietly, closing her eyes as she felt the rough hand of the journalist caress her hair.

"you still have unfinished business too, huh?" the girl nodded, "then finish it. don't let time pass you by, best friend." the journalist advised as her friend nodded in agreement.

"you're right y/n, thank you," laurie grinned at the said girl, "now go, I'm sure you have so much to do once you get home."

y/n showed her a sweet smile before stepping back from the tight embrace she was pulled into, waving at her one last time. the rest of the journalist's friends looked at her with somber looks. all of them knew that their hearts and minds had unfinished business to complete, and they would all one day have time to get out. 

"don't ever lose hope in here," the journalist seriously stated, "the last thing you want is just looking at yourself in the reflection of the void, realizing you gave up everything. understand?" 

the serious tone in the girl's voice caused the remainder of the survivors' campsite to nod. this showed y/n that they would either keep their promises or break them, but nonetheless, it was going to be their own loss or win if they do something with it. death is not an escape, in this world. 

a new world that they'd experience, where death is an escape, but they'd still have as much freedom as they would. 

"y/n," yui called out, "your backstory is what we would remember. i.. i have no idea if the entity is going to have us remember you after all this." yui suspected as the others murmured amongst themselves. this, however, did not stop the girl from keeping her hopes high up. "just make sure you don't forget to keep going.

that's all i can ever tell you."

once again, y/n was pulled into the biggest hug of their life. she giggled quietly, closing her eyes as she embraced those around her. the shocking part was that she did not care about being tossed around, being hugged by all those around her. she just knew that this would be the last time she would even see these people ever again.

especially her best friend, who sobbed quietly, who did not want to say goodbye to her. they had unfinished business, and laurie sure as hell wanted it all to be over so she could go back home, just like how her best friend did. 

"you will be able to go home, laurie," y/n cupped the girl's cheeks, "all of you will. as long as you don't lose hope, all of you will be able to go home." 

home. 

if you had read this entirely, everyone wanted to go home. knowing that one of their teammates was able to do so, they knew that they themselves would eventually gain the ability to do just the same.