Chapter 58: The Left Behind

Start from the beginning

He dragged her to the middle of the tent and slowly started swaying her along to the music that was playing. You smiled at them as you watched Hermione fighting an eye roll, but an endearing smile played on her lips.

You reached over and turned up the music, and Harry spun her under his arm and she even laughed a bit as they continued dancing, enjoying it more as they relaxed into the music. You watched fondly while Harry danced terribly, but Hermione spun him under his arm and then they both laughed loudly and turned to you.

They both ran over and took a hand each, pulling you up to join them. They spun you around and got you to sway along with the music, and you pushed away your upsetting thoughts and let them lead you in a simple but fun dance around the tent.

You twirled Hermione out and then back into your chest and she laughed, and then you both attempted to dip Harry together, but he gripped onto your arms tightly when you almost dropped him to the floor, which made you all crack up hysterically.

Though your heart ached constantly with the absence of the others, especially Fred now as you thought of the random occasions where he'd pull you up to dance along to music on the radio, you let yourself enjoy the small moment of happiness with Harry and Hermione. The music slowed and you let the other two continue dancing as you sat back down beside the radio, and you felt lighter than you had in days, though your mind was still weighed down with worry for the others.

One afternoon, you sat bundled against the cold next to Hermione, both of you flicking through your collection of books. You spent hours passing theories back and forth, searching for any sort of lead on the location of other Horcruxes, or even what they might look like.

"Hermione! Y/N!" You turned around to see Harry running towards you from the tent where he'd been resting after taking the night watch. There was thankfully no look of panic on his face, so you relaxed as he quickly approached you both.

"Hermione, you were right," he said as he strode across the rocks, "Snitches have flesh memories, but I didn't catch the first Snitch with my hand, I almost swallowed it."

He handed the small golden ball to her as he sat across from you and she held it over to you so you could look at it as well.

"'I open at the close'," you read aloud as you observed the new engraving on the front of the Snitch, Hermione's brow furrowed as she, too, studied it and Harry looked between you.

"Yeah, what do you think that means?" he asked and you shook your head, at a loss of any explanation while Hermione answered, "I don't know." She handed the Snitch back to him and pulled up one of the books you'd both been looking at minutes before, "we found something as well." Harry immediately moved and sat on her other side and you both leaned in to Hermione as she flicked open The Tales of Beedle the Bard, which she'd shown you already.

"At first we thought it was an eye, but now we don't think it is," Hermione told him as she showed Harry the strange symbol you'd been studying for the past hour already.

"It isn't a rune," she told him, and then you held up the other book you had on your lap, "and it isn't anywhere in Spellman's Syllabary."

Hermione ran her finger across the book's front page, "somebody inked it in. It isn't part of the book, somebody drew it."

Harry's eyes widened in recognition, "Luna's dad was wearing that at Bill and Fleur's wedding!"

The three of you looked down at the drawing on the book in contemplative silence, you were beyond puzzled, "why would someone draw it in a children's book?" You and Hermione had looked through the story book multiple times, Hermione could practically recite each story now, but it was just some wizarding fairytales and you couldn't figure out the significance of the symbol.