☆*: .。. o(≧ 1 ≦)o .。.:*☆

Start from the beginning

"Halabeoji has spoken . . . well of you," she said next.

A hint of a smile—just the merest suggestion—touched his mouth, giving her the impression that he didn't smile often. "Your grandfather has one of the keenest business minds in the country."

"He's incredible, isn't he?"

Joohyuk's nod betrayed no hesitation.

There was a polite knock on the door and a tall middle-aged woman wearing a navy blue pin-stripe suit stepped into the room. "Mr. Bae phoned," she announced primly. "He's been delayed and asked that you meet him at the restaurant."

Joohyuk's lean face tightened briefly before he cast Suzy an uneasy glance. "Did he say when he was going to get there?"

"I'm sorry, Mr. Nam, but he didn't,"

Suzy looked at her watch. She was supposed to meet Jenny at three. If they were delayed much longer, she'd be late.

She scowled at Joohyuk's apparent reluctance to entertain her in Halabeoji's absence. "Maybe it would be best if we rescheduled for another day," she offered brightly. She wasn't any happier about the prospect of waiting in a restaurant, just the two of them, than he was. "Halabeoji is held up, I'm meeting Jenny, and you're obviously a busy man."

An uncomfortable silence followed her remark. "Is it  your habit not to show up when your grandfather's expecting you?" he asked sharply.

Suzy bristled. "Of course not." She swallowed the words to defend herself. Her suggestion hasn't been unreasonable and he had no right to insinuate that she was inconsiderate and rude.

"Then I feel we should meet your grandfather at the restaurant as he requested," he finished stiffly.

"By all means," she said, forcing a smile. She stood and reached for her coat, watching Joohyuk from the corner of her eye. He didn't like her. That realization had a peculiar effect on Suzy. She felt disappointed and a little sad. Joohyuk hadn't said much, and actually there hadn't been time for a real conversation, but she'd sensed his attitude almost from the first. He thought of her as spoiled and frivolous, probably because he knew she didn't hold a responsible job and loved to travel. Part of her longed to explain that there were good reasons she'd chosen the lifestyle she had. But from the looks he was sending her, it would be a waste of breath.

Besides, it was more important to maintain the peace, however strained, for Halabeoji's sake. She'd have enjoyed getting to know Joohyuk, perhaps even becoming friends, but that didn't seem likely.

That morning, before Halabeoji had left the house, he'd been as excited as a little boy about their luncheon date. He'd come down the stairs whistling when he'd joined her for breakfast, his brown eyes sparkling. When she'd refused the use of the limousine, he'd spent the next fifteen minutes giving her detailed directions, as though she'd never driven in downtown New York.

Almost as an afterthought, he'd mentioned that he has a morning meeting with an important client. If he hadn't returned by the time she arrived, she was to go directly to Joohyuk's office, introduced herself and wait for him there.

Shrugging into a raincoat, Joohyuk moved toward the door. "Are you ready?"

She nodded, burying her hands in her pockets.

Thankfully the restaurant her grandfather had chosen was close by. Without further discussion, they began to walk the few short blocks, although Suzy had trouble matching her stride with Joohyuk's much longer one.

Struggling to keep up with him, Suzy studied Joohyuk Nam, trying to determine exactly what disturbed her about the man. His height was a good example—taller than six feet, she guessed—and since she was five-six there was already a huge height difference between them. Why, then, did he make her feel even much shorter?