Chapter 1

Late November, 2023.

The wind rustled the leaves on the ground, sending them in a leaf tornado. Ashton stood on the other side of "The Wall," keeping herself, and others, from the dangers outside. Nobody knew exactly WHAT was out there, only that it was, and whatever it, or they, were was very dangerous.

*Flashback*

"Ashton! Mom's calling us for dinner!" The young voice of her sister rang out.

Ashton's sister was only six-and-a-half when the whole world went into a dark change. Changing everyone's moods and their manners as well. Ashton stared at the wall, not knowing that in ten years, she would be in charge of keeping everyone, including herself, safe, away from the dangerous creatures in Aurora.

"Coming!" Ashton yelled back, shaking her thoughts from the wall. Her sister, Carissa---who was only twelve--was setting the silverware by the plates and cups. The cups were filled with water, for the kids, and wine for the adults. Ashton--only fourteen--liked the taste of wine. Every now and then, on special occasions definitely, her mother would let her have a few sips of wine. Ashton looked at the ground.

"Time to say Grace," her mother, who was actually named Grace, said.

Ashton closed her eyes and listened to the prayer. Their Goddess, Aurora, was meant for all. All genders, whether it be female, male, non-binary, transgender, or even gender fluid, and for children with different sexualities. Parent's worshipped her not long ago, and she was even in their realm a couple of times.

"...in your gracious name, we thank you, amen."

"Amen." Everyone said together.

They all ate their dinner, and shortly after finishing, Carissa went to her room to study. Ashton, of course, helped her mother with the dishes. Wind blew through the window as they did the dishes, chilling the room that they were in. Ashton shivered. She reached up to close the window, but the window wasn't even open. Ashton's eyes widened, but it was too late to warn anybody. She stood still, frozen in terror, staring at one thing through the window, and it was staring back at her, ready to attack when given the chance.

"Mom." Ashton finally managed.

Grace looked over at Ashton. Before she could ask, and in a blur of cold wind, her mom's body dropped dead, to the ground. The non-existant wind whipped through the house, and before she even realized it, Ashton saw Carissa on the ground, blood oozing from her neck.

*End of flashback*

Ashton shook the memory away. Ten years later, here she was, watching over everybody else, making sure the same didn't happen to them. Now twenty-four and without a family of her own.

<432 words>