It hurt to run, but I didn't mention it. She probably wouldn't even be able to hear me. Both of our ears were ringing still. At least mine were.

She rushed us out of the house, covering my eyes halfway through until we made it outside. My bare feet pressed against rocks and gravel and then grass.

When she let go of me, I looked around. Confused, I sat down and played with the grass. I tried to make Livia feel better as well. When she sat next to me, staying silent and keeping her arm wrapped around me. I saw her crying, so I did what she would do for me. I put my stuffed animal in her lap.

Loud sirens grew closer to us as time went on.  I've heard the same noise when these people in uniforms came to my school and talked to us. Police, I think they were called. I wonder if I'll be able to talk to them again. I wonder if they'll remember me.

Eventually, those familiar black and white cars with red, white, and blue lights were parked outside.

Livia stood up, the toy falling from her hands back into my arms, and then she pointed inside as the grownups began to speak to her. I stood up too, taking her hand and squeezing it. I wanted to stay with her, but a nice officer lady asked me to go with her and I did. She picked me up and brought me to an ambulance. I only know what it is because I've seen dad go in one once when he drank too many of those green and brown bottles.

Someone looked at my ears and my eyes, talking to me and asking me questions about myself. I told her about my sister and my friends from school. She was nice, giving me a lollipop before having me go speak to another officer.

This lady wasn't as nice. She asked me questions about my dad, questions that were upsetting me. I asked for Livia, wanting to be with her. But the lady told me she was getting a check-up too. "Did your dad drink often?" "How did he treat you?" "Did he ever touch you?" "Did he ever touch your mom?"

I answered honestly, quietly though. She asked me to speak up a lot, which I didn't appreciate. She was mean.

"Can I see Li-ya now?" I asked.

"Your sister is talking to an officer. I want you to stay right here." She left me in a cop car, leaving the window open a bit so I was still able to hear what was happening outside.

"57-year-old male found dead in the nearby woods. Fatality, gun. Suicide." A man said near the car. "We think he's the cause of the murder in the house." I peeked my head out and looked around, looking for Livia. But when I saw her sitting in the car of an older lady, the lady grimacing at her with an angry expression. I got scared.

I jumped out of the window, tears springing in my eyes when my injured foot hit the ground. I cried as I ran to her. Slipping past officers. "Li-ya!" I yelled, "Li-ya don't leave me!" I could see the car begin to back out and that's when hands grabbed me and picked me up. I fought against them Cops were supposed to be good people, but he was hurting me. I only cried more.

She saw me. She saw me but she didn't do anything. Maybe she couldn't. The door might have been locked. She looked scared, sad. I needed to get to her, I needed her. But the officer didn't let me. And just like that, she was gone.

-

"So, he.. killed himself?" I asked myself aloud, my fingers fidgeting with themselves. Cliff, who sat in front of me with his legs crossed, nodded. Lucas, Ricky, and Mick all went upstairs to give us some privacy. We appreciated it. We had things to talk about.

"Yes. I got my hands on some documents years later. Apparently, he and mom got into a fight and he killed her. Couldn't handle what he did, ran away, then put a bullet through his head." He sighed. I couldn't remember it, not even now when he's explained it to me. How could I forget that? How could I forget this whole traumatic event? "Are you.. okay?"