41. Accidents Happen*

Start from the beginning

"Alright, what do you see?" Steve's voice crackled over coms, and I glanced down from my perch on a rooftop a block or so away from where Natasha and Wanda were sitting, enjoying coffee. Lucky.

"Standard beat cops. Small Station. Quiet Street. It's a good target." I glanced down at Wanda, smirking. She was being snarky, but as usual Steve was going to miss it entirely.

"There's an ATM on the south corner, which means?" I rolled my eyes. Trainer Rogers was on mission.

"Cameras."

"Both cross streets are one-way."

"So, compromised escape routes." I nodded, smiling to myself. I was impressed. Wanda's immersion into the world of spies and missions hadn't been an easy transition for her from the life of an activist and hydra experiment. But she was learning, and it was easy to see that the lessons were paying off.

"Means our guy doesn't care about being seen. He isn't afraid to make a mess on the way out." I sighed. This didn't bode well for anybody. "You see the range rover halfway up the block?"

"Yeah, the red one? It's cute." I chuckled, blocking the microphone with my hand.

"It's also bulletproof. Which means private security, which means more guns, which means more headaches for somebody. Probably us." I smirked down at the courtyard below where I could barely make out Natasha under the umbrella. She was always such an optimist.

"You guys know I can move things with my mind, right?" Okay, I totally couldn't help the laugh at that one. Yes, Wanda, I'm pretty sure we all were very aware of exactly what you were capable of. Namely, me and Natasha.

"Looking over your shoulder needs to become second nature." I shrugged. She wasn't wrong.

"Anyone ever tell you you're a little paranoid?" I glanced over to the roof across from mine, seeing Sam balancing easily on the ledge. I swear the man had a deathwish.

"Not to my face. Why? Did you hear something?" I chuckled again. That's my girl.

"Eyes on target, folks. This is the best lead we've had on Rumlow in six months, I don't want to lose him." I sighed. Steve was always all business in the field, and a goofball off of it.

"If he sees us coming, that won't be a problem. He kinda hates us." I glanced at Sam and gave him a thumbs-up. He wasn't wrong.

I saw the truck at the same time as Steve, moving easily among rooftops following it down the overly-congested street. As it picked up speed, I broke into a jog, eyeing the building with the barricade directly in our path. This was even worse than we thought. I remembered, however, that I was part of a team when Steve's voice crackled through my earpiece again.

"Body armor, AR-15s. I make seven hostiles." I glanced over at Sam as we landed on the same patch of roof, knocking both guards out in unison.

"I make five." I glared at Sam.

"One of those was mine, Wilson." I glanced up as Wanda flew over my head – I'd never get used to seeing that. She threw the next guard to Sam, much to my chagrin.

"Four." I growled. Cocky little shit. I watched as Wanda all-but threw Steve into the building above, watching her back – not that she needed much help – as she tried to siphon the gas from the building. I glanced up when I heard a motorcycle, seeing Natasha finally showing up and plowing into the unfortunate guards in her path. Two white tentacles shot out from either side, grabbing two of the guards who thought to aim a gun at her and smashing their heads together. Not on my watch. I glanced up to see Natasha dropped into the tank, followed by a grenade, tensing and ready to rip the door off, if necessary. It wasn't. I ducked as the door shot out, watching as Natasha used another guard as a shield.

Natasha and Sam took off after the guards split up in the market place, but I kept my eye on the truck. Something seemed off about it. I looked up as an explosion rocked the market place and Steve's shield went flying into the air. But then my eyes caught movement in the back of the truck and I took off after the last mercenary made his delayed escape. I heard Sam and Natasha on coms. They had the payload, and Natasha refused to thank Redwing – I couldn't blame her. That means that the guy that I was tailing didn't have the payload, but he was still someone who was dangerous and needed to be brought in.

I glanced up in horror as Wanda grabbed somebody with her magic, levitating him into the air and trying to the contain the force of a blast. It was too much for her. But then I glanced past her, noting the guy I had been following had his eyes on the witch, and he was raising his weapon.

"Wanda!" I shouted as I moved forward. I lowered my shoulder and charged, grabbing the mercenary around the hips before he could discharge his weapon, but our forward momentum carried us too far, and I watched in horror as we slid directly into Wanda, knocking her legs out from under her. She lost control of the explosion, and I sat up in shock as the side of the building exploded.

"We need fire and rescues on the south side of the building," I inhaled sharply at the soud of Steve's voice, staring at Wanda in horror and regret.

"Wanda...I'm so sorry," I croaked out. She glanced at me, her eyes wide with unshed tears, her hand still pressed against her mouth. This was going to be bad.