Prologue

For those of you who have only seen one show but are still interested in this crossover, have no fear! You honestly only need to have seen one, because the fic explores characters from both shows getting to know the other, allowing for some in-story explanation. I have also provided summaries of each series's premise below, so feel free to check out whichever you need. :)

Condensed from Wikipedia, here's a summary of Monk's premise:

Adrian Monk, a San Francisco Police Department detective, suffers a nervous breakdown after his wife, Trudy, is killed by a car bomb. He receives a psychological discharge and refuses to leave his house for several years. With the help of his nurse/assistant, Sharona Fleming, he is able to begin work as a private detective and a consultant for the police, although his obsessive–compulsive disorder (OCD), which has worsened since Trudy's death, poses challenges for him and frustration for those around him. Monk also continues to investigate Trudy's death.

Monk's numerous compulsive habits and phobias compound his situation, such as his fear of germs. Monk is afraid of 312 things, including milk, ladybugs, harmonicas, heights, asymmetry, enclosed spaces, foods touching on his plate, messes, and risk. The OCD and phobias cause problems for Monk and anyone around him as he investigates cases. These same personal struggles are what aid him in solving cases: his sharp memory, specific mindset, and attention to detail.

Captain Leland Stottlemeyer and Lieutenant Randy Disher call on Monk when they have trouble with investigations. Ever since childhood, Monk's obsessive attention to detail has allowed him to spot tiny discrepancies, find patterns, and make connections that others miss. These insights work both consciously and subconsciously; often, Monk observes something "wrong" but is unable to pinpoint what it is until someone says or does something that triggers his understanding.

Condensed from Wikipedia, here's a summary of Medium's premise:

Allison Dubois, a mother of three girls (Ariel, Bridgette, and Marie), has the gift of being able to talk to dead people, as well as foresee events and witness past events in her dreams. She can also have visions from touching objects, seeing/touching people, and so on. When she begins working for Phoenix District Attorney Manuel Devalos as an intern, she has a dream related to a murder in Texas, the successful solving of which convinces Devalos and others working in the district attorney's (DA's) office that her gift is real.

One challenge is convincing Devalos—and other doubters in the criminal justice system—that her psychic abilities can give them the upper hand when it comes to solving crimes. Information comes to her in dreams or in cryptic visions that sometimes do not mean what they initially suggest. The other is convincing her husband, Joe, that her nightmares are visions based in reality.

In police investigations, Allison often accompanies Detective Lee Scanlon, who initially did not believe in her gift. Allison sometimes bends the rules when she is determined to stop a crime about which she has had a vision.

AND THERE YOU HAVE IT. Hopefully those summaries lend some clarity to anyone who's only seen one show and provide a basic refresher for everyone else! Now into the proper A/N, lol.

So, this fic takes place during season 2 of Monk and somewhere around early season 5 of Medium. Technically, these timelines do Not overlap, but I say they do, therefore they do for the purposes of this story :)

This crossover was super self-indulgent for me to write and I honestly don't expect many if any people to read it, but on the off chance someone stumbles upon this who likes Monk and Medium as much as I do, hi!! Hello!! I hope you enjoy!!