Chapter Twenty Three | Stronger Monsters (Part 2 of 3 | His POV)

Start from the beginning

"You've healed a lot, huh?" He feels a strong sense of warmth bloom in his chest. "That's good."

"I don't look like I'm half-dead anymore, you mean?"

"You look better. Still tired, but healthy."

He eyes them over again and centers on the sleeves of their jacket.

Every outfit he's seen them wear for the past few days since the incident at the Judgment Hall has been nothing besides long sleeves; the last time he remembers seeing their bare arms was when they had to change into his clothes to counter the heat of Hotland.

"Now I'm curious why you don't wanna take off your jacket," he comments, masking any potential signs of worry in his voice through an easier, lighthearted tone. "Did somethin' happen?"

They shake their head and flip past the first page. "Next question." He could award them a medal for how well they brushed that topic off, almost as easily as they had done with the page. "What was your... honest view on humans before you met Frisk, other people, and.... And me? I'll give you a minute and a half this time."

Time starts running too fast for him to process.

Right before the end, he replies with, "I didn't exactly think fondly of them. There were times when I... held a grudge against them, no matter the context presented. I wanted to have nothing to do with humans, if it was possible."

"So, hatred?

"Yeah, well... Kinda?

"You pass this round, then."

"You're really not gonna ask more?"

"Not now, bub. It's only one per turn!"

Although he's not quite in favour of how they flick such a heavy subject aside so easily (again), he desists and moves on to his question.

"What do you find the most weird or strange about me? You have one minute."

As if a completely new person possesses their body, his partner looks away and rubs the back of their ear as they eventually answer with, "Are you really asking this? I thought you already knew!" They huff and brace themself. "It's... It's your face, alright? I still can't process how you're able to show different expressions, eat, drink, and... kiss with that skull." Then, they breathe out. "Though I'm not sure if... what I learned about you from that article you wrote surpasses that."

"Round passed."

"Can't you answer any of that, please? I'm curious."

"You'll have to leave that for another round, puddin'." He snickers. "Or didn't you say that yourself?"

They let out a defeated sigh, but nonetheless, move forward with, "Fine, then... To what extent can you teleport? I take it you need to visualize where you want to be to get there? Or... Do you have to visit that place to be able to do that? No time limit for this one."

"Both are right. I need to visualize the place, but I also can't do it all willy-nilly if it's someone else's house. If it's somewhere outside, then there's no problem with me going back and forth between places. Though the bigger the distance it is, the more energy it takes outta me. I'd probably die if I tried to teleport to another country -- even the city next to ours would pretty much wreck me."

"Passed with A plus," they reply, chuckling. "Thank you for clearing that out."

He winks. "No prob."

It's his turn now, though he's nearly forgotten there's still a challenge with how casual that last conversation was.

"What's something you wish you could do, now that you're gonna have a lil' more time for yourself? No time limit here, either."