Chapter 2

I woke up early, put on a nice outfit, ate breakfast, kissed Mum goodbye, and walked to the subway station.

"Next stop, Oscorp Tower. Thank you for your cooperation," the train announced.

The train stopped and I made my way out of the station. After a few steps, I looked up to see the Oscorp Tower. Wow, that's one tall tower, I thought to myself.

I walked towards the entrance of the tower and walked inside. The inside was filled up with a bunch of modern technologies, and everyone was working in every direction.

After I admired the inside of the building I started walking toward the front desk.

"Excuse me," I tried to get the front desk lady's attention.
"How can I help you?"
"Umm yes, I came here looking for a job?" The lady started typing something on her computer.
"The owner of the company, Mr. Osborn, is currently about to start a meeting in his office so you might as well go there and maybe he can find something for you."
"Thank you very much, and that is where?" I looked at the lady in the hope of her giving me the direction to Mr. Osborn's office.
"Oh! Take the elevator on your right to the top floor," she said pointing at the elevators.

I started walking toward the elevators. I went inside the elevator.
"What floor please?" A woman with short blonde hair and perfect skin asked on the screen.
"Top floor," I said hoping the woman on the screen understood me.
"Thank you," the woman answered.

Right before the elevator doors were about to close, a man with glasses and slicked black hair was running toward them.
"Wait!" He called.
I quickly moved forward and put my arm in the middle of the elevator doors before they could close. The doors smacked into my arm before they opened wide again.

The man stumbled in dropping his blueprints.
"Thank you, not many people would do that for me," he said standing up straight and fixing himself up. I nodded at him.

"I'm Maria. Maria Parker," I held out my hand.
"I'm Max Dillon," he shook my hand and pulled his hand away. Then he whispered something to himself, which I couldn't hear.

Then I noticed the card that he was holding that has "Happy Birthday" written on it.

"Is it your birthday today?" I asked.
"Oh yeah uh well I- they friends of mine made this flyer up. I'm having a birthday party it's a big club a lot of celebrities, would love to invite you it's just the guest list is closed," Max stumbled over his words.
"Oh! Got it. Well thank you anyway," I replied nodding at his response. Then I turned my head in the direction of the screen which was playing the news.
"....this guy dressed up like Spider-Man hanging out near the blaze," the news broadcaster was announcing and showing footage of Spider-Man on the screen.
"Must be cool huh? To have the whole world look at you like that?" Max said admiring the screen. "You know, the Spider-Man saved my life one time. Out of all people in the whole city, he saved me. He said he needed me," Max continued.
"That must be a good feeling," I replied.

The elevator stopped and the doors opened while the woman on the screen announced that we were on the "Top Floor."

"Oh, it was nice to meet you, Max," I said and made my way out of the elevator to Mr. Osborn's office.
"Wait, she remembered my name," Max said walking up to the elevator doors, but the doors shut together.

Before I knew it I saw a huge door that had "Conference Room" written above it and I went inside.

I turned to my right and saw a bunch of employees sitting around a table discussing something. Shit the meeting has started already

There was an empty seat next to a dark-haired girl on the table and I quickly moved to the seat, trying my best for no one to notice me. And thankfully, they didn't.

"You mean people are pissed off because he tried to turn everyone in New York City into giant lizards?" Said the man who was seated at the very far top of the table, which I assumed was Mr. Osborn.

"Given that, all the animal hybrid programs he was involved in were destroyed to restore investor conference," the old man to Mr. Osborn's right continued.

"Ah. That is the Osborn way. Whatever's inconvenient around here, just get rid of it right?"

"Much of that scrutiny may fall on you now. We felt that plausible deniability was your best option," the old man defended himself.

"Sure, sure. I get it. Twenty-year-old kid. Two hundred billion-dollar company. What was Dad thinking? I mean, you're all lawyers, right? Surely, someone must've questioned his sanity in the end. Someone must've thought about having him declared legally incompetent." Mr. Osborn said in a bitter tone. "It would've made this conversation a lot easier."

"Harry-"
"It's Mr. Osborn. We're not friends," I tried to refrain from laughing due to second-hand embarrassment.

All of a sudden Harry noticed a girl sitting in the very far back. Her eyes are beautiful, he thought to himself.

"Hi," Harry said trying to get someone's attention. The next thing I know everyone turned their heads looking at me.

I slowly turned my head towards Harry.

"I'm not quite familiar with you. What's your name?"
"Uh, Maria. Maria Parker," I stumbled over my words.
"Maria. From now on, everybody at this table works for Maria because Maria works for me. Would anybody like to speak up?"

There was a short silence in the room.
"Well, good. Then you can all keep your jobs a little longer," Harry addressed everyone. Someone stepped into the room and made their way to Harry's side.

"Sir, there's a Peter Parker here to see you," the man told Harry softly. What the hell is Peter doing here? 

"Maria, I wanna see every file on this list.... every single one," Harry ordered before he left the room.

Next thing I know everyone got up from their seats and placed a bunch of files in front of me. One after another.

Hell of a first day.