AU - Hot Chocolate at the park

Začať od začiatku

"Thanks for inviting me," Rin said. "I didn't want to stay in and stress about finals in two weeks."

"I like spending time with you," he said. "You're so chill and easy to talk to."

Rin took a bite out of her churro. That was a compliment and probably had no double meaning whatsoever.

Yeah.

"I like you," she blurted out.

Rin's face flushed in horror. That was­n't what she had meant to say. At least, not now.

She forced down the lump of dough to try to explain but of course, she had to breathe.

The dough went down the wrong pipe.

Rin chugged down her hot chocolate only to realize, it was hot. She breathed out like a fire-breathing dragon a d continued to hack up a lung.

Tears clouded her vision. Alexander grabbed everything from her hands and disappeared.

Rin squeezed her eyes shut trying to remember how to breathe. Something pressed into her hands. Familiar with the shape,  she opened the water bottle and drank the water.

"You okay?" Alexander asked.

Rin could only nod as she coughed again. Her taste buds burned in numbed agony.

"She's fine," Alexander said to the concerned onlookers.

Rin wished for an earthquake but nothing happened.

"Let's sit down."

Alexander lead to a bench where Rin spent the next few minutes learning how to breathe.

"Rin?" he asked.

"I'm good," Rin rasped out. She cleared her throat. "Thanks."

"Glad I don't have to give you CPR," he said.

No one spoke.  Rin frowned.

"Nooo," he quickly said, face red. "Not like that!"

He covered his face with his hands.

"I'm glad you're breathing! I don't mind giving you CPR - but not like I want you to choke. I -"

Rin grabbed his hands. "I know what you meant," she said. "I'm glad I'm in safe hands."

He looked at her, puppy eyes filled with embarrassment and relief. Her heart did a flip.

"You're so darn cute," she told him. Rin squeezed his hands. "I meant it, I do like you. Spending time with you feels so natural."

Alexander pulled his hands from hers, She didn't stop him. Her stomach sank. It was for the best, right? This way she knew how he felt.

Seemed like it was time to go home with numbed taste buds and a relationship that hadn't gone anywhere.

"Oh, thank goodness," Alexander said and pulled her into a hug.

His warmth washed for her. Sniffing, Rin put her arms around him and snuggled into his shoulder.

"I-I like you," he stammered out. "I just wasn't sure if you liked me too."

"I invited you to eat with me."

"I thought it was because you felt sorry for me."

She shook her head. "No, silly."

A blast of cold wind hit them. Shivering, Rin snuggled closer.

"How about more hot chocolate?" Alexander asked.

Rin pulled away. "What happened to ours?

Sheepishly, he looked away. "I dropped it and the churns. I panicked and only thought about getting you water."

Rin smiled. "More sounds good," she said.

This time, Rin grabbed his hand and they stood.

"Can I get a picture of us?" she asked.

"Sure, why?"

"I like your smile," she told him. "I want to see it when you're not with me."

Rudolf's nose would have some competition next to Alexander's face.

"Say 'Happy Holidays on three."

Alexander grabbed his phone and snapp­ed a picture.

"First picture as a couple?" he guessed.

"First picture as a couple," she confirmed.

Hand-in-hand, they walked back to the hot chocolate stand. Maybe later, we would warm up with something other than hot chocolate.