Steve- My Queen, My Knight (Royal!AU; Pt. 1)

Start from the beginning

•••

You walked down the grand corridor, your heels clicking and clacking against the marble floor. One of the only times you were allowed to be alone was in this corridor, and for good reason. Behind the intricate portraits of rulers long past laid an elaborate system of hidden tunnels, not used since the Rebellion decades ago, courtesy of your great-great-grandfather, King Baron von Strucker.

You pushed open the door at the end of the corridor where your "knight," Steve, was waiting for you. He turned and faced you, clearing his throat awkwardly after he took you in. You chuckled at his face. "Your Highness, you look great, I don't mean it like 'wow, you look better than you usually do,' I just meant that you look really nice. That's all."
"Steve, we've known each other since we were kids. You don't have to act so weird around me. And for Christ's sake, call me Y/N. You know I hate the stupid royal formalities."
"Uh, yeah, you're right. Are you ready to go down to the ball?"
"Yes, let's go."

He extended a hand and you gently placed yours in his, walking towards the marble stairs with the gold railings and descending. Step after step, you could hear the party below you getting louder.

You always hated these things. So many people, about a thousand princes from all over trying to win your hand in marriage, and the constant watch from the people and reporters, scrutinizing your every move, regardless of what it is.

You and Steve didn't talk the entire way down the staircase or as you walked down the final corridor towards the grand entryway, the beautiful carvings of birds, snakes, trees, and deer glinting in gold per usual. Though the carvings were done when the palace was first built, they were still immaculate.

You ran your finger over your favourite carving, the Bohemian Waxwing perched on top of a low branch, tracing the golden outline. Steve waited patiently, he knew you had your superstitions. If you didn't touch the bird, something bad would happen, the last day you didn't touch it was the day your grandmother died. Ever since, he's never seen you miss it.

You removed your hand and cleared your throat, nodding at Steve. He smiled and pushed open the doors for you before stepping to the side. You looked up at the grand chandelier, shining brightly above the crowd of people.

Your mother and father were on the royal balcony to your left and you nodded in their direction before descending down the steps to where the party-goers were dancing or watching you. You glanced at your brother, who was busy stuffing his face with food. You smiled at him ever so slightly. Though he was trying to be discreet, he wasn't doing it well, but he was 9, give him a break.

You reached the dance floor and heard Steve behind you, taking his place against the wall, hand placed on his sword. You turned and laughed at him, making your way around the side of the dance floor. He raised an eyebrow at you and you shook your head smiling, slipping deep into the crowd of dancers and joining in.

The music- courtesy of the band- blared throughout the night, from slow dances to community dances. You swung with your brother once or twice, laughing as he stumbled and jumped with you. You'd occasionally swing him around and pick him up, making him giggle and shriek while you shushed him slightly, all with a smile on your face, of course.

While you were caught up in the moment, Steve was watching you affectionately from the sidelines. He'd loved you since you were both 13, when he was still being trained and you were still being chased through the garden by your grandmother, screaming about how unladylike you were being. He smiled at the memory, that was nearly 8 years ago, just before you'd met days later.

Your brother ran off to your parents after the song ended and you turned back to Steve, smiling at him. He smiled back slightly and you walked over to him as the next song began to play, this time less lively and more slow. You glanced down at his hand, still positioned on his sword. "Would it kill you to relax a little?"