Episode 16: Stuck in Two Holes

Swellview's greatest crime fighters were constantly out and about chasing down scum. It was in the job description; someone breaks the law, they sort them out after an epic battle, scum goes to prison, a job well done. But that wasn't tonight. Tonight, Captain Man and Kid Danger weren't going up against Doctor Minyak or The Toddler or anyone of evil, they were running after Jeff, the stupidest guy in Swellview.

"Where'd he go?" Henry yelled to Ray as they ducked and dodged the dumpsters that littered the backstreets of Swellview. For such a chubby guy, Jeff was pretty zippy on his feet and he was somehow managing to outstrip them as he made for an abandoned building.

"He went down the alley! Where are you, Jeff?!" Ray shouted as they marched down the dark alley and squinted for any movement. This was stupid, Jeff wasn't bright enough to evade capture for long and the more he ran, the more agitated the superheroes were getting.

"You're making it worse by running!" Henry added, hoping that the criminal would do the smart thing and give up. The problem was that Jeff didn't even know the meaning of smart and just moved his little legs faster.

"Shut up!" He snapped over his shoulder and jumped through the cracked window of the old movie rental place at the end of the alley. It would be a good hiding place if he had more than two brain cells, but the noise of the smashing glass told the superheroes exactly where he was.

"Come on!"
"Let's get him!.. We saw you go in there, Jeff!" Ray and Henry ran faster towards the store, their words prompting Jeff to panic as he thought about what to do or more importantly, where to hide. He had no energy left to run, so the dusty old shelves full of cassette tape cases would have to do as his protection. The criminal cracked open an old tape and began to unravel the film inside, hoping that he could use it as cover or a distraction.

"All right, come on. Let's go in through the window." Henry panted as he and Ray peered through the smashed hole left by Jeff. It wasn't ideal, crawling through a load of sharp glass, but if it meant that they could get in, it would suit them just fine.

"Nah, let's use the door," Ray told him, preferring to walk into the building cooly in a manner that would be safer than squeezing through the small gap in the window. Jeff could surprise attack them or something if they were caught unawares and they were hoping for a clean, easy capture tonight.

"Door's probably gonna be locked," Henry argued, trying to get his boss to slow down and think about things. Usually, it was (y/n)'s job to keep him calm and sweet, but she'd been reluctant to come out that night, on the count that she was a tad depressed after turning thirty in the week. Sure, she'd had a big party with her friends and even some family, plus loads of presents but it was hard to say goodbye to her twenties. Since it was just a Jeff problem that night, Ray had allowed his sweet girl to stay at home with one of her cheesy rom-coms. If all went to plan, he'd be back with her in no time, if this moron complied that was.

"That's okay, I brought my foot." The large man quipped and swiftly kicked the door in, allowing him and his sidekick to enter the rental store with ease. Jeff had tucked himself behind one of the old security canners and held the film top over his face so they couldn't see him as easily and to be fair, it was a rather clever disguise.

"All right, Jeff. Where is your stupid...self?" Ray yelled, looking around for the idiot who had forced him away from his girl that night. He wasn't particularly interested in whether Heather and Michael get together after the Christmas Party as the movie trailer promised, but he was interested in snuggling up with his girlfriend and inevitably dragging her into a make-out session when he got bored. All that he gave up, just for dumb Jeff.

"AHHHHH!" The moron charged at him and wrapped the shiny tape around his neck and face. Jeff had hoped that the scratchy plastic would distract Captain Man long enough to let him escape, but it wasn't hard for Ray to just push him away and let Kid Danger deal with him.