"You're not exactly on the team yet, kid."

"I know that, but—"

"You know we have to start testing."

"I already told you, Stark. I woke up one morning and had the abilities."

"But it doesn't happen like that, kid. Something happened that caused this inhuman event to happen. And to make sure you, and other people, are safe — We need to know exactly how it happened. Just talk me through everything you remember."

She groaned and took out the second headphone.

"I don't know, Tony. It was during my shitty time, I was at some bar, I came home, and the next morning I woke up with a pounding headache and my bedsheets were on fire. I don't understand what more you want me to say."

Tony furrowed his eyebrows and tried to make sense of her story. It didn't help that she was under the impression of alcohol, but it still didn't make sense that she just woke up with superpowers. It was legitimately impossible.

"What about the bar? What bar was it? Did you drink something that triggered genes in your body to—"

"Tony I don't know. Anything between running away from foster care and a few months before you guys picked me up is fuzzy. I couldn't tell you anything that I thought was 100% reliable, apart from the fact I woke up with powers — I'm sorry."

Tony sighed, he couldn't blame her, he knew those few years had been difficult for her, but it still annoyed him that he couldn't figure it out — So he could help her.

"Can we do some testing? I know you think we're all doing this for Avenging purposes, but I do actually want to help you."

"Anything to help you sleep better at night, Tony." She said with a tight smile.

Ember didn't stay for much longer afterwards, she gave Tony back his headphones that she was still holding in her hand.

Tony was frustrated. He could work everything out, he was quite literally a genius. But this girl, this girl he had grown to genuinely care for, stumped him. He had no idea how she had ended up with these extraordinary powers.

But he had a feeling who might.

February 16th 2017
Avengers Compound Training Facility

It was one in the morning of the next day, Ember found herself in the training room behind a bunch bag.

Beating up shit seems to have been a habit she picked up from Steve.

She was just so mad at herself. She wasn't going to let people know something was wrong, because that isn't something she would normally show, but she couldn't stop feeling that she had failed the Avengers. These people were trying to help her and trying to help the rest of the world — If powers like hers got into the hands of the wrong people they could be dangerous.

And she had no idea how she got them.

If she knew then maybe she would be a good asset. But she wasn't going to be a good addition to the team, and she was so pissed off at herself that she had somehow let herself believe that she could be an Avenger.

Her sudden change of attitude had came after her talk with Tony. All he wanted was answers, and she couldn't give him any.

No matter how much she whacked the punching bag it wouldn't give her answers either, because the punching bag was a rude bitch.

Even though the punch bag wasn't giving her any answers, she kept hitting it anyways because it felt good. She could see why Steve took out his frustration this way.