Chapter 5 - What Dreams Are Made Of

Start from the beginning

"Please, Miss... You've caught my respect in such a short time," she looked down on her hand in an attempt to hide her embarrassment.

"How so?"

"Last night, as I watched you dance in such sombre music, I saw a woman whose soul was free as a bird." she pursed her lips.

"You did mention that," Diana took a sip.

"As a noblewoman, my life has already been set." Lilian's voice started to shake, "I am no man, I have no right to my Father's title as Viscount. I have no other choice but to remain in this mansion and marry a nobleman... or move to elsewhere with my husband as the Mistress of his mansion." she grit her teeth. Her voice started shaking, and her breathing became heavy.

Lily reminded Diana of Nari; she wondered if her soul had lept with her as well. Instead of talking back, she sat across from her, quietly listening to the young Lady. "This child is hurting..." she thought to herself.

"I will never be free like Miss Diana. I was so moved last night, but that is all it is for me." with her head looking down, she glanced at her. "But that is all there is to it... Nothing but an inspired fool who may never escape her duties."

"I beg to disagree." Diana softly placed her cup down but still made a loud sound as if protesting to Lilian's words. She moved her body to face her, and this time she said firmly, "I beg to disagree."

Lilian, taken aback, was speechless. Has she offended her? It was not obvious, but Diana's aura has changed from the peaceful, serene Lady a moment ago. What has she said that offended her so?

Diana noticed the concerned look on Lilian's face; that is why she followed her thoughts, "To be frank young lady, no noble would ever approach a dancer like me. And yet you dared to ask around and look for me." she teased. Diana grinned at the worried look on Lilian's face. "And as I mentioned, you have a kind heart that some noble will never have a privilege of having." she checked to make sure Lilian was listening. "Sometimes... we can never change what is to come, nor how people will act around us. But what we can change is our actions." Diana playfully picked a biscuit off the tray. "Nothing in life is ever certain. You may never change your past..." she paused as the image of a woman hanging by the neck flashed in her mind. "But you can always change your present and future." she reached to hold Lilian's hand, and with the warmest voice, she assured her, "You will be fine. Whatever decision you make, as long as it came from your heart, you will be fine."

Lilian broke into tears at Diana's words. Diana rushed to console the crying girl, and the two shared the sweetest moment surrounded by the most beautiful lilies.

A week has passed, and the troupe stayed at the outskirt of Obelia. Eliza remained at the doctor's place, and Diana danced in her stead while staying at The York's mansion. The nobles were generally kind to their people, especially those who were less fortunate. At that time, Diana built a relationship with Lilian as the two enjoyed the company of each other. On the last day of the festival, Hiego called all his members for a special announcement from the palace.

"Eliza, do you think you should be walking now?" Raul assisted Eliza through the crowd.

"Raul, I have been coddled way too much. It is never good for a Siodonnian to be kept in one place. I'm afraid that will make me sicker." she joked.

"Leave her be; I support that notion, Eliza." Diana piled on.

"Alright! Listen up!" Hiego yelled at the crowd. "A news from the palace has just reached my ears."

The mention of the palace is enough to send a shiver down my spine.

"After tonight's last performance, we will immediately be travelling to the citadel to pay respect to our new Emperor."

I knew it. The story is about to unravel right before my eyes.

"As of this morning, Emperor Claude de Alger Obelia has taken up the throne as the new ruler of Obelian Empire, and all travelling troupes are welcome to pay their respect to our new king at the banquet."

I need to escape.

"And respect, we will give." He stared straight in Diana's direction.

" He stared straight in Diana's direction

Chapter 5 END

Banana Speaks:

Merry Christmas/Happy Holidays! Not a lot of images or music in the following two chapters, but I still hope you enjoy it!