XXII

Sticking Together

======================================

Back to business

======================================

"Good morning you two!" Tommy smiled as Techno and y/n walked out of their rooms.

"Morning, losers," Techno said, combing through his pink hair.

"Good morning," y/n smiled while rubbing her eyes.

"These came for the two of you earlier this morning," Wilbur pulled out two envelopes, each labeled for the person. He handed them to their respective recipients.

Both of them hesitantly opened the envelope. It was made out of plain white paper and sealed with red wax. Engraved on the wax were cursive capital letters "JS" with small curly horns.

Hello, my honored guests!

You have been personally invited to Manberg's first-ever festival! I, the president of Manberg JShlatt, welcome you to spend one day enjoying the festivities of this event to celebrate democracy at its finest. The citizens of Manberg and I will be anticipating your arrival.

Yours truly, JShlatt

"What does it say?" Tommy asked, trying to sneak a peek at the paper.

"It's an invitation," y/n stated.

"To Manberg's festival," Techno added.

Tommy and Wilbur were taken aback. Doubt started to cloud their judgment as they pondered the possibilities of why Schlatt had chosen to invite the two. Techno may have been obvious, he was a new member and still is heavily debated to be a spy for Manberg. But why y/n? She was a wanted tyrant much like Wilbur and Tommy. What set her apart?

Tommy didn't want to wonder and think about the "what ifs" anymore. It tore down his spirit and put him in a sour mood.

"There's no way the two of you are fucking going to that god damn dictator's festival!" Tommy spat.

"No Tommy wait... We could use this. While they're there Techno and y/n can gather info that we'll need. Think about it! If it's a grand event, I can execute my plan!"

Tommy's sour mood turned dull with his emotions.

"Only if you deem it necessary though, right Wilbur?" Tommy asked.

Wilbur's excitement settled as he composed himself again. "Right..."

"We'll go. I agree with Wil on this one. We could get some good info if we go," Y/n spoke up, ignoring the sinking feeling she felt growing in her stomach.

"Yeah, plus I don't mind spending a day with this nerd," Techno added while lightly bumping y/n in the arm. Which caused her cheeks to warm and a smile to spread on her face.

Tommy's face scrunched up at Techno's response. "If you're going to flirt with my bodyguard, at least have some class."

Techno's face went red and he let out a frown. "I am not flirting with your bodyguard!"

Wilbur watched y/n's face fall from a bright smile to something smaller. If someone were to ask her how she felt at that moment, she wouldn't hesitate to tell them it didn't bother her, but it did. Somewhere deep in her heart, she knew that she could spend eternity with him if he wanted. Little did she know, so did he.

-----

The two had spent their time preparing for the day of the festival. Y/n had dropped her constant questioning about Wilbur's plans despite the heavy feeling she gets whenever it's brought up. But Wilbur hadn't stopped his constant demands for what y/n should do with her days. Go spy on their preparations for the festival, gather more food, and so on were constant reminders of y/n's inferiority.

"Are you ready to go?" Techno asked a sleepy y/n.

"As ready as I'll ever be," Y/n gave Techno a weak smile.

The pinkette gently placed his hand on y/n's back and rubbed circles. "If it ever becomes too much, let me know and we can get out of there."

Y/n gave him a small nod appreciating the small things Techno did to help her feel comfortable.

The two ventured through the forest, eventually reaching Manberg. It was late in the morning and people were already gathered together to enjoy the day's festivities.

Games scattered around the lands, food carts and booths were set up all around, and all circled the large stage that had brought their demise from day one.

"Y/n, Techno! I'm so honored to see that both of you could make it!" A voice called from behind them. There stood Schlatt and Quackity with bright grins on their faces.

"No, I am honored to have the chance to attend," y/n acted. Techno glanced at the woman and quickly picked up on what she was doing.

"It's a shame we lost you during the election," Schlatt paused. "You know, the contract can be reinstated if you wish to come back. This time it'll have my and my comrades' signatures on it, to make it more legit."

"I'll give it some thought. For now, I would like to enjoy the wonderful festival you prepared for everyone."

"Oh common!" Schlatt scoffed in a joking manner. "The festival hasn't started yet. We can settle this now since we're already here! So how about it?"

Techno took this as his cue to step in. "My apologies for intruding, but she's not leaving my side, at least not today or anytime soon."

Everyone was taken aback by Techno's choice of words. "What's this about? You two got a thing going on or something?" Schlatt asked, a curious Quackity standing behind him.

Techno didn't know what to do. He knew he had to intervene but he just said the first thing on his mind. He didn't know to play it off or explain himself.

You know what to say...

Just say she's your bodyguard too...

Just say it already...

Techno had started to open his mouth but was kept quiet as y/n linked her arm with his.

"I didn't want to attend the festival alone so when I found out Techno got an invitation, we agreed to go together. Just to look after each other just in case someone got lost or stolen from. Those kinds of things," y/n explained. "We promised each other and the others that we would keep each other safe while away from home."

Schlatt clapped his hands together and let out a short laugh. "Good idea! There has always been safety in numbers. Ease up a bit though Technoblade! There should be enough room in your mind for all the fun you're gonna have today too. Not everything is threatening."

Y/n smiled at Schlatt and Techno just nodded. He was still lost from his unplanned statement.

"Well, I'll leave you guys to it. Most of the booths are open so feel free to start playing games or eating food, whatever. And who knows? Maybe you'll reconsider our offer earlier. Just don't forget," Schlatt pat y/n and Techno's shoulder, "to enjoy the festival!"

Schlatt and Quackity took one step into the moving crowd and had seemingly disappeared from the two's radar. A mysterious man with hidden intentions, what could he possibly be planning?

======================================

1138 words

======================================

This week's uploads:

1-2 = regular every other week update

3 = compensation for late update 

4 = happy holidays! :D

The chapters are gonna be a bit longer than usual. I'm sorry but also not sorry.