08. Unfamiliar Territory

Start from the beginning

     Addie glazed her steak pie and mash in gravy, arching an eyebrow in her Gryffindor friend's direction. "I can assure you, Gia, that doesn't make it okay."

     "Well, it's never stopped you before!" Gia exclaimed with highly over-dramatic hand gestures.

     Addie thought about arguing that she has only ever been in the Gryffindor common room twice and on neither of those occasions was she celebrating the success of a house Quidditch team that is not her own.

     Laurie spared her an unearthly groan before she could even reconsider using that argument. "Why are you so un-fun?" her sister asked; Laurie's other hand, which had previously been supporting her chin, flopped down onto the table, causing Addie's spoon to rattle against her plate.

     "Who's side are you on?" Addie asked disgustedly.

     Laurie thought it was obvious. "The one with the epic party?"

     "It's one night, Addie," Clayton piped up, shovelling a clump of potato and baked beans onto his fork with his knife. "Don't be such a party-pooper."

     "You sound like my mum."

     "Even Quinn's making an appearance," Gia was resolute to convince Addie to change her mind. Even at her friend's expense, apparently. "At a party."

     "I know I should find that insulting," Quinn said, still focused on making perfect square pieces from her steak, "but it's actually pretty good persuasion material. I never go to parties, Ad, so for you not to go to one I'm going to, is lame. Even in my terms."    

     Addie didn't stand much of a chance when her entire friend group was against her. Maybe if she steered clear of George Weasley and his twin, her night wouldn't be so bad after all? It's only a bit of unfamiliar territory and she can always swig a glass of fire whisky if she feels her sober self's animosity towards a smug redhead would get out of hand.

     That being said, George Weasley has always found a way to worm himself into Addie's path. And since he will still be riding out the ecstasy laced in a post-Quidditch-win, it is no doubt that George will make himself known in any way he can.

     "Fine," Addie exhaled, leaving Gia in a fit of applause. "But don't expect me to sing your team's praise all night." She couldn't give that redheaded imbecile any kind of satisfaction, especially not gifting him any signs that she supports his efforts on a broom.

     Gia grinned from ear to ear, a certain glint in her eyes. "I won't even subject you to face paint."

༺༻

     WHILE GIA INSISTED HER THREE NON-GRYFFINDOR FRIENDS attended a party to celebrate the Lions' victory, she also insisted that they covered their ears when she muttered the password to enter the common room. It was fair enough but pretty much pointless if Gia demanded they all visit her in how house's tower more frequently than only once or twice.

     "I realize this is probably too late," Laurie drawled as the four of them watched as the portrait cracked open, the noise of the extravagant celebrations trickling in through the growing gap, "But why are you wearing green?"