15. Weasley-Sweeney Day Care

the baby project — act two
" welcome to parenthood "
﹙ 𝗪𝗘𝗔𝗦𝗟𝗘𝗬-𝗦𝗪𝗘𝗘𝗡𝗘𝗬 𝗗𝗔𝗬 𝗖𝗔𝗥𝗘. ﹚

     SOON, SEPTEMBER WAS COMING TO A CLOSE, AND THE SOUND OF A BABY CRYING became normalised. The days were getting shorter, the wind becoming nippier, and Laurie Sweeney wasn't very happy that she had to spend her eighteenth birthday surrounded by pooing infants accompanied by a cloudy sky.

     "First birthday as a mother!" Tate said enthusiastically as the four Hufflepuffs still lay awake in bed the morning of Laurie's birthday. The girls were sat up against their headboards, their sheets tucked up to their chests. "How does it feel?"

     Laurie wanted to slip back under the covers again and skip this day entirely. The only good thing currently was that she had forced Josh to care for Lana overnight because she refused to wake up to her baby's yelps first thing. She still had to pick the kid up after lunch.

     "Heinous?" The older Sweeney girl offered up her best answer.

     Logan pouted her lips understandingly, "Yeah, sounds about right."

     The four roommates then gave Laurie their gifts, the Sweeney family owl also arriving just in time for their parents' present to make it to the birthday girl before they left their dorm. Having got ready for the day, and greeted people on their way out of the common room ─ Reid having ambushed Laurie with a standard sibling birthday hug ─ Addie and Laurie headed for Gryffindor Tower. Addie needed to drop Shelley off with George and so Laurie decided to come with just for the company because, as Josh still had Lana until later, she and Addie would be heading off for brunch straight after. Clayton tagged along after forcing a rather large balloon into Laurie's hand.

     After Gia let the sisters and Clayton inside when they arrived at the portrait hole, gushing with happy birthdays and hugs, they settled into the group of sofas by the fire and erupted into excited chatter about the day ahead, followed by more presents and more hugs.