The moment she walked through the apartment door, all three of her roommates crowded around her.

"Where the hell were you?" Eya looked the girl up and down to make sure she was alright.

"I went for a walk," Deanna shrugged, not wanting to reveal what she had actually been doing. She'd already gotten enough 'simp' comments from her friends, and wasn't in the mood for any more of them.

"You're fucking insane," Eya shook her head. "We thought you got kidnapped or something. Warn a guy next time, will you?"

Deanna just chuckled to herself and ran a hand through her hair. She walked into the kitchen, grabbing a box of cereal from the pantry and making herself breakfast. All of her roommates eyed her questioningly.

"You're late for class," Riri spoke up. Deanna raised an eyebrow for a moment before shrugging.

"M'not going," she mumbled with a mouthful of food.

"That's a first," Ivy whispered to Eya, who nodded in agreement. They decided not to question Deanna further, though. With only a few days left until Carly's trial, they wanted to keep Deanna in as best of a mood as they could.

Deanna's mood plummeted downwards around dinnertime, though, when her phone buzzed in her pocket and she excused herself into her bedroom.

"Hello?" she asked, sitting on the edge of her bed and biting her lip.

"Deans? It's mom, your father just got me a new phone. How are you?"

Deanna's eyes widened. Her mother had always been good at telling when Deanna was upset, even over the phone. She took a deep breath.

"I'm good, mom, how are you?" she asked, scooting back on her bed and crossing her legs. It's not that she wasn't close with her mother, because she was, but she didn't exactly have a believable explanation for why she was this miserable. Luckily, her mother didn't seem to notice.

"We're all good down here, sweetie, what's new with you? I've been so busy I just haven't had the time to call," her mother explained on the other end of the line. Deanna racked her brain for something new in her life besides Carly.

"I, uh, I'm doing good in school," Deanna said while biting her lip.

"That's all?" her mother questioned, and Deanna could tell she knew something was up. "How are the other girls?"

"They're good," Deanna nodded once and gazed out the window, watching as the sun slowly began its descent behind the horizon.

"Everything's 'good' with you then, eh?"

"I guess," Deanna shrugged. She didn't know what else to say to try and lead the conversation in another direction. She'd never been good at talking about herself.

"What about your dating life? Any hot girls in the city?" her mother teased.

"Mom!" Deanna felt her cheeks grow red and suddenly she couldn't get her mind off of Carly.
"I... I-I... I don't know."

"So there is someone!" her mother raised her voice. "Honey, you were right!" she called to Deanna's father in the background. Deanna's jaw dropped and she suddenly grew increasingly anxious. Now they would bombard her with questions, and she wouldn't know how to answer them.

"Who is she? What's her name?" her mother came back on the other end of the phone. Deanna tensed and couldn't find her words.

"I... she's... I don't know," she stumbled over her words.

"You don't know her name?" her mother laughed. Deanna lifted her head when she heard a soft knock at the door, revealing Eya staring questioningly into her room. When she saw the nervous look on Deanna's face, she immediately joined the girl on the bed and threw and arm around her shoulder. Deanna took a deep breath.