IX. If Caspian Throws Another Ball I Will Literally Kill Myself

Começar do início

"Got it!" Edmund cuts me off happily.

I rush over to him, "What do you mean—"

"Look." He holds the tooth out inches away from my face and slowly moves it back to the bark of the tree. Then I see it. A divot in the bark, with fresh green ivy swirling around it, the exact size of the dragon tooth. On either side there are two more holes, one skinny and deep, the other shallow and wide. Both carved perfectly into the swirling wood of the portal. Edmund slides the tooth into the middle divot, smiling when it locks into place. I break out into a smile too, feeling like we have made progress.

"Oh—let's open the book! We should be able to see the next step now if we did it right!" I say excitedly, sliding the spell book out of the waistband of my pants. I throw it open to our page and wait for the magic black ink to write itself.

Step Four: You have made it very far, only a few more steps to complete. But this one is very important, thought it may seem obsolete. In this world you call your home you must live one last boring day. Be absolutely sure that you want to leave, as this spell only goes one way.

Edmund and I finish reading at the same time and look over at each other, "So this step is to just...do nothing?" I frown.

"Guess so. The book does have a point. Once you're gone, you're gone for good. You need to be one-hundred-percent sure you want to leave."

"I do. One-hundred-percent." I say, nodding.

Edmund shrugs and we walk back over to our horses, mounting them for the long journey back home. Home? That palace is not your home, Y/N. It never will be. Edmund's rare silence gives me time to think and I realize a few things.

One being that while we certainly had our ups and downs, the  past 2 days with Edmund have almost been...fun? The adventurous element, I suppose, it's been unlike anything I've ever experienced. The other thing I realize is that...I'm not sure why I want to leave so badly anymore. Caspian and I actually had a civil conversation, Edmund and I haven't had a real argument almost the whole time. (Minus the whole bridge thing, and I can admit that may have been a valid concern.)

So I suppose the thing propelling me away is pure spite, and a little bit of obsession. The thrill of completing each step, knowing each time I'm closer and closer to a world on endless possibilities. A world of opportunities completely different than anything I could ever imagine. You do want to leave, I tell myself. It's true. It's true. It's true.

Edmund stays quiet for most of the ride, I guess he's finally run out of things to say. I secretly blush when we ride past the stream where I kissed Peter and drank the sweet water. Peter. I want to see Peter.

We are soon at the palace, and Edmund's siblings wait for us at the entrance. Caspian doesn't.

"Edmund!" Lucy smiles, bounding up to him happily.

"Hi Luce!" He embraces her warmly.

"How was your trip?" Susan asks, approaching me with Peter in tow.

"It was really nice. Narnia is such a beautiful country." I say genuinely.

"Did you have a nice stay in the village?" Peter asks.

"Yes it was lovely, everyone was so nice."

Susan moves to speak to Edmund and Lucy, leaving just Peter and I. "So. There's another ball tonight. In honor of your return." He smiles lightly. I groan and rub my temple in annoyance. Must we throw a ball for every minor event? "Hey, wasn't my idea. Your brother's, actually."